What's The ETA For P4 Macs? Anyone Know?

I don't think they'll be P4 based, more likely to be based on the Pentium M architecture.

IanG said:
I don't think they'll be P4 based, more likely to be based on the Pentium M architecture.

pentium M in the laptops...

im sure they'd put something beefy like the p4 (or something similar) into the desktop machines

performance is better with the pentium m architecture. plus it uses less power and also less heat. would be great for those G5 cases i think.

spencers said:
pentium M in the laptops...

God, I hope not. Apple needs to stay away from Dothan. My hope is that Apple debuts new Mac Minis and iBooks with Yonah, and PowerBooks with Merom.

im sure they'd put something beefy like the p4 (or something similar) into the desktop machines

The Pentium 4 isn't beefy, and it's going to die a well-deserved death soon. Apple desktops should have Conroe.

Terpfen said:
God, I hope not. Apple needs to stay away from Dothan. My hope is that Apple debuts new Mac Minis and iBooks with Yonah, and PowerBooks with Merom.

The Pentium 4 isn't beefy, and it's going to die a well-deserved death soon. Apple desktops should have Conroe.
The Yonah is a Pentium M, and the Pentium M will be Yonah. He didn't say Dothan, he said Pentium M. As for Pentium 4, the only way I expect to see Pentium 4s in use in Macs is P4-based Xeons in the PowerMac. It's not that likely, though. If they switch to Intel because of performance per watt, why switch to a processor that uses more than 100 watts?

Black Morty Rackham said:
The Yonah is a Pentium M, and the Pentium M will be Yonah. He didn't say Dothan, he said Pentium M.

Yonah lacks a marketing name as of right now. To refer to it as the Pentium M is incorrect.

As for Pentium 4, the only way I expect to see Pentium 4s in use in Macs is P4-based Xeons in the PowerMac. It's not that likely, though. If they switch to Intel because of performance per watt, why switch to a processor that uses more than 100 watts?

Exactly. There won't be a P4 in a Mac, ever, unless Conroe gets the Pentium 4 brand name.

Yonah lacks a marketing name as of right now. To refer to it as the Pentium M is incorrect.
Fine. But it *is* based on the same architecture as the Dothan, isn't it? So it still is "based on Pentium M architecture" or whatever.

I'm surprised this question is still asked.

It's become pretty well known that Apple intends to skip NetBurst entirely. That the transition to Intel will begin most likely with the PowerBook and the Mac Mini next summer. And that the Power Macs and Xserves are going to stay G5 through sometime into 2007.

Ok, I picked up an issue of Mac Addict yesterday at a local books store, and i'm happy to report that Yonah based Mac's will hit the makert in early 2006 (Mac Mini) followed by Conroe based Mac's in late 2006 or early 2007. The Intel based Mac's will be able to run Windows XP, as well as OSX.

The Intel based Mac's will be able to run Windows XP, as well as OSX.
Apple says they won't actively try to prevent Windows' running on them, so it's not really entirely certain that it will.

Apple says they won't actively try to prevent Windows' running on them, so it's not really entirely certain that it will.

That's true. Well I plan on picking up an Intel Mac Mini early next year and I'll report back with whether or not I was able to install XP.

The inverse could be said, that MS will try to prevent XP from running on a Mac (somehow implementing TPM?)

Although, imagine the publicity when someone says "I bought a Mac, and didn't like OS X so I installed Windows XP instead"

KaosDG said:
Although, imagine the publicity when someone says "I bought a Mac, and didn't like OS X so I installed Windows XP instead"
If you installed Windows XP and removed OSX all together wouldn't you loose Apple Support?

But I mean who would want to say that? I know it all comes down to personal preferance, but I know for myself I used and liked Windows for years but one can become boards and annoyed with something after so long. Now I'm using OSX and it's as smooth as silk.

If I bought a future MacTel it think it would be great if I had multi OSs on it. Just to try it out, you like install OSX, Windows XP and Linux. Use OSX for everyday use, Windows for gaming, and Linux for fun.

The Doc said:
Anyone know?

Please just watch the Keynote from June, that'll answer your questions. Not to mention it's interesting to watch; if you have an hour to sit down.

Back