Whats the difference?

Reverse breakout cables have the 4 Sata ports on the end that connect to the raid controller, the other end usually connects to a SAS backplane.

Forward breakout cables have the 4 Sata ports on the end that connect to a SATA backplane or SATA drives directly, the other end connects to a Raid controller.

Depending on which of the above scenarios you actually need the 4 SATA plugs for will dictate which cable type you need to buy.
 
Can you not just flip the cable around and use 1 for both scenarios? If you pull up the pictures from both of the cables I posted they look the exact same?

Eg.

Raid Controller (mini SAS) -> 4 SATA drives
4 SATA ports -> SAS backplane

Same ends, same connectors, just the cable is flipped? I'm confused or just not seeing it lol
 
Unfortunately no, the cables are pinned differently, hence the designation of forward and reverse breakout cables.

Think in terms of straight and crossover ethernet cables. Same principle.
 
Ahh, ok, that makes sense now lol Thank you!

Now to find a forward cable on newegg.ca :mad:
 
Thanks! I saw those lol I was trying to order the raid card and cables from the same place.. oh well, I saved $145 on the card.. can't complain I guess :D

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top