• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's the difference between VTT and VID?

mellojoe

Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
703
I know VID is the core voltage. But what the heck does VTT do? (in layman's terms)
 
It is the termination for the CPU's FSB interface, sometimes labeled in motherboard BIOS as vFSB. It can help with stability at high FSB with quads in particular. JFYI the consensus for 24/7 maximum VTT with 45nm chips is about 1.45v and 65nm chips 1.5v. Any higher could degrade CPU life noticeably (i.e. before we at the [H]ard Forum normally replace our CPU's :D).
 
VID isn't the really the core voltage. CPU Vcc is technically what that's called. My DFI board incorrectly refers to the processor vcore (CPU Vcc) as VID though.

As PliotronX said, VTT is the FSB termination voltage (also called reference voltage). He is right to warn you about those levels for 45 and 65nm chips. I wouldn't exceed 1.40 V (real) for a 45 nm chip.
 
Yeah, I'm using a DFI motherboard.

I haven't touched VTT. Its sitting at the stock setting of 1.0v.

When would I need to up the VTT setting?
 
VID isn't the really the core voltage. CPU Vcc is technically what that's called. My DFI board incorrectly refers to the processor vcore (CPU Vcc) as VID though.

As PliotronX said, VTT is the FSB termination voltage (also called reference voltage). He is right to warn you about those levels for 45 and 65nm chips. I wouldn't exceed 1.40 V (real) for a 45 nm chip.

VID is what the voltage regulator uses to set Vcc for the CPU right?
 
Back
Top