• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What's the difference between sound cards?

Antagonist

n00b
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
48
I've looked around and I don't completely understand why there's a difference between a C-media and a Soundblaster live to a Audigy X-FI. The only difference I've seen is features like a firewire port. How do you actually get better audio out of these devices? Isn't the audio defined by the speakers?

Sorry I'm a TOTAL noob, I've tried researching this but it's hard to ask people why they're reviewing something.

Don't kill me?
 
They supposedly sound better, but it probably doesn't matter much for the most of us.
 
A soundcard does the digital-analog conversion. That's one link in the chain of good audio. Soundcards usually have some sort of internal amplification as well. That's another link for you.
 
So what's the difference between a $50 sound card and a $250 sound card? Ie, Audigy and Live?
 
The entire circuit, the design of the circuit, the quality of the components, the features, inputs/outputs, the DACs, the opamps.
 
Back
Top