• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Whats the difference between IDE and S-ATA?

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
5,078
Ok...i'm debating if I should upgrade my harddrives? I have...

1x Western Digital 80Gb 7,200 RPM 8Mb cache "SE" IDE
1x Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7,200 RPM 8Mb cache Ultra ATA

I'm a complete HDD newb!

Is there a way to put those drives in Raid0? I know you need two identical drives, but i'm not sure if they can be IDE. Also, is it worth switching to SATA? I might get a 250Gb Maxtor but i'm not sure...I have plenty of space...but loading seems kinda...slow. Maybe I just need to tweek my drives.
 
both can RAID.

SATA is a lot better and faster. Get the barracuda and you will love it.

SATA requires a thing small cable rather then the wide IDE cables. Better air flow, less hassle. Overall drive is better.
 
MaMMa said:
both can RAID.

SATA is a lot better and faster. Get the barracuda and you will love it.

SATA requires a thing small cable rather then the wide IDE cables. Better air flow, less hassle. Overall drive is better.


Well I already have those two 80Gb IDE drives...just wondering if its worth the switch?
 
as of right now sata is no faster than pata (ide) but the small cables make it all worth it it my opinion
 
thats right, my fault, i was thinking on the lines of the raptor drives. those are really nice
 
Ok...so the main difference is the cable. I dont think any of you have heard of round IDE cables = P

Or seen how clean my case is!

cimg00251lv.jpg


:D

Not worth the switch then, i'll wait till the raptors come down in price.
 
Back
Top