What's the difference between Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 ZS?

impronto

Limp Gawd
other than how many speakers(satellites) they support, what are the other main differences?

I can get the Audigy 2 OEM for $42.
I can get the Audigy 2 ZS OEM for $74.

I need a good justification for the ZS.

I have the Logitech Z-560's. Just want to take full advantage of them and their 4.1

DTS software decoding
A newer software package that includes a EQ and bass boost thing
Slightly better SNR

In other words not much.
With those speakers I would buy the Audigy2 and use the hacked ZS drivers. :)

I know the 560's have some THX certification or something like that, do I have to worry about anything like that with the 2 cards?

THX certification for multimedia stuffs = useless marketing crap

so the THX thing is bs? So I should go with the regular Audigy 2 eh for my speakers? And what are these "hacked ZS drivers"? Thanks

Yes, Yes, and just what the name implies.
ZS drivers that were hacked so you could install them on any of the Creative consumer cards and get the new features I mentioned above

the Audigy 2 OEM no longer has the firewire port. Older versions of the OEM audigy 2 card will have it, but the newer ones that are dubbed the Audigy 2 Value OEM which are replacing the Audigy 2 OEMs will not sport the firewire port.

Some stores are selling the Audigy 2 Value OEM as the Audigy 2 OEM, which aint their doing, it's the manufacturer.

The Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Value OEM no longer has a MIC jack and those are replacing the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 OEM.

However these value cards are cheaper than the older ones. It seems that Creative wants you to get the retail box versions.

Audigy 2 OEM is 6.1 and is NOT THX Certified but interms of preformance it's on par with the Audigy 2 ZS just slightly lacking. Audigy 2 ZS is THX Certified and it supports 7.1 and is a bit better interms of preformance over the Audigy 2.

so the audigy 2 oem without the firewire port is the exact same as the regular audigy 2 just without the port? how much of a quality increase would i notice with that over onboard ac97?

also if my mobo comes with firewire port, then i wouldn't need it on my soundcard anyways right?

joethemole said:
so the audigy 2 oem without the firewire port is the exact same as the regular audigy 2 just without the port? how much of a quality increase would i notice with that over onboard ac97?

also if my mobo comes with firewire port, then i wouldn't need it on my soundcard anyways right?

I believe the Audigy 2 Value OEM are completely different than the Audigy 2 OEMs, not just the firewire port itself but it's missing quite lot. I own an Audigy 2 OEM ie. the one with the firewire port that I got last year and the card itself is much bigger, and it has the upgradable ports for the front bracket, and I believe the chipset is totally different. I remember on my Audigy 2 OEM that the chip on the card had the Audigy 2 logo, whereas with the Audigy 2 Value OEM only says "CREATIVE CA0108-IAT" and some other codes that don't relate to the chipset, and I don't think that's the same as the older Audigy 2 OEM the one with the firewire port.

I'm working at the computer store today and I'm looking at the Audigy 2 Value OEM right now and the card itself is much smaller than the one I own at home. The card itself is shorter in size, it's missing the ports for the upgradable front panel, and it's missing CD IN and the firewire which I mentioned before.

I would get the Audigy 2 ZS, as it has gold platted connectors and it sports the firewire, and the upgradable front panel option with the CD IN, opposed to saving a few bucks with the Audigy 2 Value OEM where your missing a lot of things.

Unless you know for sure your NOT gonna use firewire, CD IN, the upgradable front panel and all, then save the few bucks and go with the Audigy 2 Value OEM, as I'm quite sure you won't be able to get the Audigy 2 OEM which comes with the firewire port and it the real Audigy 2.

The quality is better than the AC97 I would think even with odd changes to the sound card itself. But I wouldn't care as I wouldn't get the Value OEM garbage now. I would only use onboard sound for standard speakers including basic 2.1 setups and some 5.1 setups, unless you get some High Preformance speakers like some THX speakers or something that does over a 100watts where i would get an upgrade to a better soundcard, which even then I would only recommend the Audigy2 ZS + unless you know your not gonna use all those features then go with the Audigy 2 Value OEM.

Back