What's the big difference between L4D2 and L4D?

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Am i just not seeing it? To me, L4D2 looks like an expansion pack for L4D? I really do NOT want to start some flamewar, i am genuinely interested in L4D2 and i own L4D. I just don't know what justifies the pricetag?!

They've added 3 more special infected (original has 5) .
They've basically made replacements for all the guns, they just look and sound different.
Some common infected have different traits like zombies in chem suits are immune to mollys, construction workers with ear protectors on are immune to pipes.
New game mode to fill a generator with fuel from cans you have to scavenge, it's just a slight twist on survivor mode.
Melee weapons.

There really isn't a whole lot more from what i've seen, I don't think L4D was worth it's price point and L4D2 offers no more in the way of new content so It's not going to be worth it (to me personally) either.

There is absolutely loads of L4D fan made content out there some of which is very good and it's completely free.

They've added 3 more special infected (original has 5) .
They've basically made replacements for all the guns, they just look and sound different.
Some common infected have different traits like zombies in chem suits are immune to mollys, construction workers with ear protectors on are immune to pipes.
New game mode to fill a generator with fuel from cans you have to scavenge, it's just a slight twist on survivor mode.
Melee weapons.

There really isn't a whole lot more from what i've seen, I don't think L4D was worth it's price point and L4D2 offers no more in the way of new content so It's not going to be worth it (to me personally) either.

There is absolutely loads of L4D fan made content out there some of which is very good and it's completely free.
What (s)he said.

As much as I loved L4D1, the $50 pricetag was too much. I did, however, eventually pre-order it with the 4-pack deal which divides up to $33.74 per person.

More experience in the design structure.

The developers took note of how the survivors played in L4D1. Lots of closet camping, shiva-stacking (4players standing in the same spots meleeing constantly), that sort of thing. Plus, good teams were just plowing through expert mode with no challenge.

The changes involved on-the-go panic events, where survivors had to reach a destination to survive the event, so they couldn't just sit and wait it out like before. 3 new infected, all designed to separate survivors, or force them to move out of a camping spot.

Basically, L4D2's main change is that instead of survivors moving and stopping to fight off a horde, the survivors are encouraged to move and fight on the go. Other changes involve some additional depth to how the survivors should behave. Hard Rain floods the map to slow your run speed down, thus survivors will need to choose between slogging through the mud together, or leaping across rooftops(with Special infected pulling them down to separate them). Some normal infected will have minor upgrades like hardhats/helmets to protect from headshots, biohazard suits to prevent incineration, or construction worker earmuffs to prevent them from being lured towards pipebombs. Witches are more prolific and move during the day (3 at a time in some cases).

Fundamentally still the same game, but the main change is that survivors need to move more, and be a little more careful. There's also a realism mode that nobody knows anything about. I'm guessing multiplayer will be slightly more balanced with the new SI, but I don't really care about it. There's also melee weapons that will be useful for getting survivors shot when they run around in front of everybody else's guns(i.e a BAD idea).

Last edited:
what I would like to see is an extended coop "story mode" that isnt just versus with ai special infected

I don't have time to look on the details but I thought they added a random map feature that alters the maps each time you play them. (like in diablo 2).

enough changes for me to snag it up. acctually getting the 4 pack for Wife and 2 brothers.

I don't have time to look on the details but I thought they added a random map feature that alters the maps each time you play them. (like in diablo 2).

enough changes for me to snag it up. acctually getting the 4 pack for Wife and 2 brothers.

Not really the same thing. Diablo 2 generated new maps, which isn't what is happening here.

It's really just the same map that splits into different routes with "doors" in front of them. AI director chooses which "door" to present. It probably won't be an /actual/ door, but any kind of map feature that funnels players in a particular direction. You'll probably see all the possible routes after a few playthroughs, the difference is that you can't be 100% sure which routes to expect. It's been done before, I remember an old CS map (Havana?) that also had changing routes in multiplayer.

This is another thread based on the same thing over and over......

img ....person beating dead horse.... /img

This is another thread based on the same thing over and over......

img ....person beating dead horse.... /img

Then just don't read the thread and move on instead of posting something useless in it. So far the answers were mature and i actually learned that the game won't be worth it for me at this pricepoint. What's you problem?

M
Basically, L4D2's main change is that instead of survivors moving and stopping to fight off a horde, the survivors are encouraged to move and fight on the go. Other changes involve some additional depth to how the survivors should behave. Hard Rain floods the map to slow your run speed down, thus survivors will need to choose between slogging through the mud together, or leaping across rooftops(with Special infected pulling them down to separate them). Some normal infected will have minor upgrades like hardhats/helmets to protect from headshots, biohazard suits to prevent incineration, or construction worker earmuffs to prevent them from being lured towards pipebombs. Witches are more prolific and move during the day (3 at a time in some cases).

Sounds like they took some of the ideas from plants vs zombies and stuck em in there. Zombies with cones on their heads, zombies on rubber ducky floaties. Awesome.

i'm excited for L4D2. i understand it's not going to be significantly different than L4D, but the changes they are making look like a shit ton of fun. I'll buy it on release day, stay up all night playing, then have wicked dreams about zombies when i finally go to sleep :D

Both Adam Sessler of Xplay and (its either Vinny Caravello or Brad Shoemaker) of giantbomb.com have said that the game is becoming increasingly worthy of its own seperate release, and both of them have said they believe it now offers enough additional content to warrant its own seperate release. I believe them.

I'm trying to get a 4-pack organized as we speak.

Well, it's adding quite a bit of new features and content. One could argue that these could be added over time to L4D1. I agree. But, in the end, you are getting more content than what you got in L4D1 when it originally released. So, IMHO, the price is justified. However, I'd recommend grabbing the game during a sale weekend, perhaps the 50% off one. I'd say that L4D2 is worth about $30. The 4-pack is the way to go.

Both Adam Sessler of Xplay and (its either Vinny Caravello or Brad Shoemaker) of giantbomb.com have said that the game is becoming increasingly worthy of its own seperate release, and both of them have said they believe it now offers enough additional content to warrant its own seperate release. I believe them.

I'm trying to get a 4-pack organized as we speak.
adam sessler's opinion on gaming is probably one of the last one i'd care about

I'd say that the most significant difference between the two is about $20. Subject to change of course.

Other than the core gameplay being the same, its got enough content and added features that make this a new game.

In a word, the madden series. How much "gameplay" can be added to football every damn year???

This is like bitching Uncharted 2 isn't worthy of being a new game because you play the same character and shoot stuff but with a slightly different story. Same goes for Halo 3... its Halo 1/2 with a slightly different story... like be real people.

i just dont understand why they couldnt juss add new weapons to l4d i was reallly disapoint when they only have 6 weapons.

I was really looking for to L4D but when it came it it looked like a real meh, so I never bothered buying it. Maybe ill pick up L4D2 if its 20-30 bucks and be like neo 'woah'.

i just dont understand why they couldnt juss add new weapons to l4d i was reallly disapoint when they only have 6 weapons.

2v9d9x3.gif

killing floor was much better than l4d and it will still hold true for l4d2 I'm betting.

I hope this is a joke. Killing Floor is survival mode in L4D with static spawns.. FUN!!

What a bland comparison, sir.
Survival is boring, cause you just camp in the corner. KF has always had big maps with different trader spawn points, so you have to move around in between your hole-ups.

In any case, you play KF for the awsome and vast amount of guns, the gore, and the perks that make you different from your co-players. And the knowledge that the devs are spewing out new content as fast as possible.

It doesn't have versus though. But of course someone made a mod for that so you can play as the monsters 6vs6

about L4D2. Id buy it full price if I could get a discount trading in my L4D. The second game has always been an expansion, but due to the nature of console gaming and the number of xbox-customers, Valve had to make a "full-blown" sequel.

And the knowledge that the devs are spewing out new content as fast as possible.

This and the price tag are the wins for KF. Still I don't see how you can say it is a better game. Maybe better for the $

I paid full price for the original, and considering the time and enjoyment I got out of it, I think it was well-worth my $50. My buddies and I have gone in for a 4-pack, and are anxiously awaiting its release. Lighten up, folks!

This and the price tag are the wins for KF. Still I don't see how you can say it is a better game. Maybe better for the $

What wait? Of course you can say that, isn't that what counts here? L4D2 is pretty much L4D with some fluff added in and they want to charge full price for it? KF is constantly churning out new and better content for half the price and with free downloads. The only thing L4D has going for it is the community.

Don't get me wrong I love valve software and they pump out some amazing stuff, but this has just left a somewhat bitter taste with me. The customization of your characters in KF is 100 times better than static characters with an AI director that is subpar at best.

L4D2 features much better looking level design and enough content to warrent full price, I guess you could always 'boycott' it if you don't think so (oh wait...). Valve has supported l4d with last stand, survival mode, crash course and the modding community is constantly churning out new free stuff I don't see why that will change with the new game.

If you want to whine about a sequels features not stacking up to the originals look at ofp2, the new game didn't do anything to evolve the series beyond putting it on a console and giving it a fresh coat of paint. The AI and physics are the exact same as in the original and the whole experience is a clunky throwback to the original.

I will wait until it is in the bargain bin. Should have been an update or add-on.

Back