What's the big deal?

kaleb_zero

Limp Gawd
Hello All,

It's been a long time since I've posted in here (years, I believe). I haven't really participated in F@H much recently either (though I've done and am doing a bunch of BOINC stuff).

I have recently been browsing these forums and have stumbled across a few people eluding to 'PG pissing people off' or some new 'events that happened with F@H' that have caused a bunch of people to drop F@H, but no one has actually explained what happened?

So, my question is, what happened that has everyone with their pants in a knot over F@H to the point where some people are even dropping it?

I sort of gathered that some people felt that F@H is no longer a viable project or is a waste of electricity, etc. These are pretty huge claims? What is everyone referring to?

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25411&sid=af63438e99840a3f87841ad08998c4be

PG gave little notice to the BA changes/road map. Everyone wanted answers and went to the Folding Forums. Folding Forums did their normal thing of pissing people off and censoring/removing posts. Many saw this as the straw that broke the camels back and therefore decided to jump ship.

Feel free to jump in the BOINC thread or the DC-Vault thread sometime. The Commandos would be glad to have you. :)

Adding more insult to injury was how the Core_17 project has been handled, especially since going public with it. Apparently, we're all a bunch of selfish assholes who can't point out the faults in the way things are currently going. So the childish, "It isn't about points, it's about SCIENCE AND FINDING CURES!" response becomes the talking point whenever donors are pissed with the lack of backup servers, constant downtime, getting non-Core_17 WU's that we've spent over a year doing before QRB was brought back and Core_17 came out, etc.

In a nutshell. People are just getting fed up donating their gear and spending thousands for a project that has outgrown itself and should be treated more like a business than a testbed. Being with the project since long before they reached 1PFlop, they're now reaching close to 20PFlops. They have more resources than they ever could have imagined 10 years ago. Believe me when I say a thousand dedicated individuals can stop and nothing will be lost except time.

Although we'll see. [H] has already dropped by about 50% of its daily load compared to what it was before they took a stand. Once BigAdv drops I can only imagine where things will go as I'm sure many would take a stand, but would rather squeeze as much out of their investments as possible.

Back