What's the best, smallest normal mobo-fitting case for under $110?

I'm building a new computer for my roomate:

He's looking for a small case, but we need it big enough to fit a Abit (OMFG NOT ASUS, my bad) IS7 mobo (He has one laying around). Colors are either silver, black, or dark blue, and looks count. I was thinking of the Lanboy, but more choices would be nice. Any ideas guys? (The smaller, the better.)

Go with a superlanboy or a Sonata, both are good. If hes planing on picking it up alot then go with the lanboy cause they're friggin light as.

But... If it were me, i'd go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-117-109&depa=1

Then again, I'm into networking heh. But yer, for a light smaller case (without going HTPC case) then the super lanboy is probably your best bet (plus, it comes with a decent PSU aswell)

FunkStar said:
Go with a superlanboy or a Sonata, both are good. If hes planing on picking it up alot then go with the lanboy cause they're friggin light as.

But... If it were me, i'd go with this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-117-109&depa=1

Then again, I'm into networking heh. But yer, for a light smaller case (without going HTPC case) then the super lanboy is probably your best bet (plus, it comes with a decent PSU aswell)

I think your link may be pointing to the wrong place...that's a 2U rackmount server case. I have that exact same case at home, it's a royal PITA because it's 24 inches deep, and doesn't fit in my server rack. Will sell it cheap if someone wants to pay for the shipping.

I am selling my Lan boy which was only used for a month for $50 + shipping. It beats the $92 newegg wants.

PM if interested.

Super Lanboy >> Lanboy. Not tiny, but smaller than most mid-towers, great cooling with 2x120mm fans, and made to be quiet. Only downside is that it is kind of lightly built, since it is made to be as light as possible. If you want steel insead, get the SLK3700-BQE instead. I think they have a smaller vesrion of the same case, but I dunno if it has all the neat features like vibration-reducing hard drive mounts and 2x120mm fans like the BQE does.

running.jpg

That skyhawk sure looks nice and compact, and is probably the one I'm getting

As for the Lian Li PC-65, I got one OCed and watercooled for my use (cause it's awesome), but it's just too big for this project.

Thanks for the ideas!

You want small? Lian Li PC-3077. Sweet little case once you make the blowhole bigger from 80mm to 120mm.

DarkMonkey said:
I'm quite fond of my Aspire X-Dreamer, *hugs his baby*
I was interested in this case when I was on a budget but I couldnt find someone to ship to australia. :(

undertheradar said:
You want small? Lian Li PC-3077. Sweet little case once you make the blowhole bigger from 80mm to 120mm.

I'm sorry...but we demand pics of that mod. :D

I already packed the case away, sorry. Mine was the Lian Li PC-37...very close. I didnt just expand the 80mm blowhole, but added one in front of it at 120mm. That way the pukey slow air cooling that the case would otherwise have was alot better. The air enters from the back around the PCI slots, from vents near the CPU on the mobo tray, and from the front at the HDD grille, and gets sucked out of the top. One 80mm isnt cutting it. My case temp was 27degreesC. I cut that 120mm blowhole and put an all aluminum evercool fan in there...an extra 87cfm really took care of everything...20degreesC was my new temp.

When the Lian Li PC-V2000 came out, I ripped out everything, puit it into the 2000, and put the PC-37 in a box...where it stays.

The only thing I don't like about Lian Lis is that you seem to have to buy a friggin' huge one to get 120mm fans. 80mm fans are kind of crappy... either loud as hell or move no air unless you have a half dozen of 'em.

agree 100%...but cutting a Lian Li or drilling one is very simple, and then you get big 120mm fans as much as you like...

Why not go for Thermaltake cases? Do you guys think they are not good?
I have been reading a lot about them and they seem to be very good. What do you think?
You have the Tsunami, the Lanmoto, the Lanfire. All great cases, with good airflow and light ones too.
Here's the link to check them out: http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/menu.htm

I've seen and inspected both in person. Their build quality, fit and finish is sub-standard, especially at their prices. Lian Li and Coolermaster(more the old ones) are the only two consumer brand cases I'd really buy. Server and workstation cases are much better than both though. My next machine is going in an Intel or Supermicro chassis. I've had a hell of a time making my CM case as solid as one of those would be to begin with.

I think Porche is a name dropper/company rep. 2 cents. Check out Athenatech - I was about to buy an matx case from them, has a very conservative style, and it fits a 120mm. Otherwise, drill away at a lian-li.

?! what name dropper/company rep?!
I'm just comparing many lighweight cases for a few days (as I'm buying one) and I found many reviews which gave them great scores! I can point out just a few (I have lots of them :p about Thermaltake and also about other cases like Lian-Li, Antec, Silverstone, Coolermaster).
Here's some of the reviews:

Shark
Shark
Tsunami
Tsunami
Tsunami
Tsunami
Tsunami
Tsunami

Thermaltake in general is just low quality when you actually use them. My cooler is made by them (I bought it 'cause it was the cheapest 80mm cooler I could find, and then I just threw a Tornado on it) and it's quality is bellow that of the stock AMD coolers. The top of the fins are FLAT which creates tons of extra noise and hurts air flow a lot. Even the stock cooler has rounded fins to some extend. Thermaltake may look good on paper but most of their products are poorly thought out and lacking the small details that make other products great. I've worked with the Tsunami before, I've seen Sharks in stores but never built anything with them, they're both low quality as far as I'm concerned. And this is coming from a guy who's computer is built into a case from Aspire.

Here's a vote for the Super Lanboy. I've got love for the Antec/Chenming/Chieftec design cases, and for the rotated HDD rack. :)

Back