In chronological order...

Doom 1/2
Duke3d
Quake 1
Unreal 1
CoD1 (Stalingrad)
Alien vs Predator 1/2
And yeah, Half Life, all of them.

Serious Sam and Painkiller get honorable mentions for mindless slaughter, but Doom was there first in my heart.

Not going to put anything recent on the list yet, until I see if I play them again. Bioshock, Q4, Fear, CoD4 probably wont be replayed. Crysis maybe.

NOLF (no one lives forever) was simply great. Of course now it's very dated on graphics.

Recently I've really enjoyed CoD4, and it's multiplayer I find very good. To be honest I don't like TF2 much. I think it has a lot of good points, I just hate shooting something in the back of the head with a shot gun twice and it not dying. :rolleyes:

NOLF (no one lives forever) was simply great. Of course now it's very dated on graphics.

Recently I've really enjoyed CoD4, and it's multiplayer I find very good. To be honest I don't like TF2 much. I think it has a lot of good points, I just hate shooting something in the back of the head with a shot gun twice and it not dying. :rolleyes:

tf2 is not single player

i would go with half life 2

No One Lives Forever 1/2 are hands down my favorite FPS games. An updated sequel would pretty much make me squeal like a school girl. Guess I can dream, right?

I think I enjoyed the original Call of Duty more than any other FPS.

Far Cry gets an Honorable Mention for being so fucking hard and awesome at the same time.

tf2 is not single player

i would go with half life 2

Yeah I know. I had seen some mention of it earlier in the thread, and if you were thinking about buying the Orange box then I thought you deserved my 2 cents about it considering I mentioned the multiplayer on CoD4 as well.

That mod is AMAZING!
Crysis feels like a new game, the Time of Day mod on top of the performance increase AND Ultra High graphics.
Wow!
I've been playing it since your post :D

For anyone who wants to give it a go
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

For comparison
Running E8400@4GHz, 4GB ram, 8800GT
1280x1024 res timedemo just short of 50fps and it looks gorgeous!!
Super smooth in game :)

ps dont bother using level 5, I only got 22fps
This thread cant be the first mention of it here surely? Its been out 2 weeks.

No problem, glad i could help out. I love it, i have a e4400 @ 3.3ghz 4gb ram and 8800gts 512mb, with the mod (lvl 4 + plus extra personal tweaks - i get arround 30-45 fps). Its unexplainable how much fun sneaking around in the game is. The realism mod adds an amazing sense of gameplay, and the good thing is, is that the mod is not yet finished. Solecist over at crymod is working on it to make it even better.

No problem, glad i could help out. I love it, i have a e4400 @ 3.3ghz 4gb ram and 8800gts 512mb, with the mod (lvl 4 + plus extra personal tweaks - i get arround 30-45 fps). Its unexplainable how much fun sneaking around in the game is. The realism mod adds an amazing sense of gameplay, and the good thing is, is that the mod is not yet finished. Solecist over at crymod is working on it to make it even better.

Hehe brilliant.
mucho gracias :)

Half-Life 1. because the story and gameplay was a revolution for the FPS!

Terra Nova

nuf said

How does it hold up against modern games?
I see the reviews are from around 11 years ago !!! :D
Seriously I'm interested as there have been some amazing older games that still hold true.

1. Doom 3 - cuz those spiders were freaky when the snuck up behind you
2. Crysis - for the grafix and sniper rifle
3. Half Life 2

I hear COD4 is amazing. I have not tried it.

I apologize in advance:

1) Ghost Recon 1
2) Rogue Spear
3) Raven Shield
4) Crysis
5) Far Cry

HL1, HL2, Painkiller, Bioshock, Far Cry, Halo (original), System Shock, Undying, Unreal (original).
Depending on how loose you are with the definition, you could probably throw the TES games into this.
And yes, while it's 3rd person, Resident Evil 4 falls VERY close to an FPS. The over the shoulder view is closer to an FPS than any other 3rd person game short of Gears.

I'd have to say Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay. You can see your hands when you turn valves and Riddick is a character with personality. Valve might want to check that out.

This is a great one. One of my favorites. My favorite shooters span quite a chunk of time.

I'll have to make a little list:

System Shock
System Shock 2
Riddick
BioShock
Quake Series
Doom Series
Half-Life Series
Unreal
Hexen Series
Wolfenstein Series
NOLF 2
F.E.A.R + Expansion
Heretic Series
SHOGO
First half of Far Cry + First half of Crysis = 1 decent game :D
Prey (this isn't one of my favorites, but it's not bad, and has a lot of good ideas in it)

How does it hold up against modern games?
I see the reviews are from around 11 years ago !!! :D
Seriously I'm interested as there have been some amazing older games that still hold true.

I thought it had a great story line, your AI team mates were pretty dang good for the time as well. If you have an old DOS machine it's definitely worth a look. I liked how you could change your loadout on the armor for the mission you were about to go on. If they remade this game with modern graphics I'd be all over it.

I played Gears of War for about 15 mins. (Which is sad cause it took forever to install) I have a problem with a machine gun at someone's head for 2 mins and they don't die. I can understand 2 or 3 shots to the body to kill someone. But the pull trigger and wait and wait and wait for something to die. The cover system looked neat though.

cod4, single player was just brilliant.
golden eye
max payne
wow i could go on and on and on..

AVP2, NOLF

and i'm suprised no one mentioned Republic Commando yet

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Esp 1
Half-Life 2: Esp 2

Interesting how many people are voting for the newest FPS's out there...

Were you just not around during the old days of Deus Ex / System Shock 2 / NOLF / AvP 2 or do you just think the new stuff blows it away?

As much as I love CoD 4, no way, imo, was it better then AvP 2. I will never think the Half Life series is better than Deus Ex, even though I love the HL series.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was fucking rad too, imo, and I'll always have a special place in my heart for Duke 3D, the expansion, and the numerous "unauthorized" expansions. Blood was pretty decent, as well, and shit, can't forget Shadow Warrior.

Basacially, I can't pick just one, but seeing some people name the older ones brought back a flood of memories :D

Best single player FPS list:

1. Half-Life (1 and 2)
2. Doom
3. System Shock 2
4. No-One Lives Forever
5. Quake
6: Duke Nukem 3D
Honerable Mention: Wolfenstien 3D

My favorite single player FPS list:

1. Undying - (Probably the most underrated/overlooked game ever, fantastic scary and totally immersive atmosphere probably the first FPS to incorporate the weapon in one hand magic in the other setup, great gunplay, and just a fantastic story. I can't believe that nobody played this game when it came out.)

2. Quake II
3. Halo: CE (PC edition)
4. Bioshock
5. Unreal

And now a special list, worst FPS ever made:

1. Daikatana =D

P.S. Max Payne is not a First Person Shooter, it's a Third Person Shooter. Honestly it should be in its respective category.

Interesting how many people are voting for the newest FPS's out there...

Yeah I noticed that. The real test IMO is if you fondly remember the game a few years later. The CoD series is a great example of that. I list CoD1 due to things like Stalingrad which I remember well. The sequals are just an afterthought and a rehash on the original, even if their graphics are better. I barely remember what happened in CoD4 and I just played it last year. I think the only recent FPS memory I will have is Prey's intro, getting sucked into a spaceship while Dont Fear the Reaper plays on the radio.

Goddamn I cant believe I forgot Duke3d on my list.

And I tried out that Crysis ToD mod from earlier in the thread. Holy crap, awesome. I have no idea wtf it tweaked but it looks pretty amazing now and I used to run it with some tweaks of my own. The sun setting/rising thing is great.

Call of Duty 4 was the only recent single player that I played and had a hard time putting the game down. It had a decent story and was able to draw you in readily. Was well worth my time playing. I liked the original Unreal as well.

I was the first of the Half-Life 2 sheep to enter the thread, but I do have to say that Deus Ex was a close second. Half-Life 2 won out for me in the end because I hated the end-game in Deus Ex more than I hated the end-game in Half-Life 2.

Back