Whats the best settings if I can't reach 144Hz and above ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
So I got a new 1440p 144Hz monitor and it's great no G-SYNC by the way. Anyway for right now until I can afford a upgrade the GTX 1060 will have to suffice for now. So whats the next best thing keep the monitor at 144Hz and don't use any v-sync in game nor in NCP then ? Thanks

I assume for gaming? Turn down options such as draw distance, shadows, god rays, AA, use lower rez textures, drop resolution to 1080, end background programs and tasks, etc. It's hard to be specific without more information. What games, current framerate, etc.?

Shadows resolution is the main target of mine to increase performance. In most cases difference is imperceptible.
Also use FastSync and not V-Sync OFF as you get no tearing. With V-Sync OFF you get tearing no matter what.
Might also want to use RivaTuner Statistics Servers to set frame rate limit at exactly 72fps and FastSync. Depending on your monitor refresh rate (it must be spot on for this to work properly thus maybe require some tinkering with CRU!) you might get no stuttering at all and no input lag.

V-Sync OFF will always have tearing even if you can push 144fps

The lowest I'm turning down settings to is high settings for pretty much everything. Also no I can't use FastSync I don't have a AMD card. I'm playing some newer games and even turning settings to low isn't nearly enough to get my fps up to 144fps. Also I do hate when V-Sync is OFF it looks the worst to me. So it seems like the best way for now until I upgrade would be to just play demanding games at 60fps with V-Sync ON and monitor set at 60Hz I guess....right ?

The lowest I'm turning down settings to is high settings for pretty much everything. Also no I can't use FastSync I don't have a AMD card. I'm playing some newer games and even turning settings to low isn't nearly enough to get my fps up to 144fps. Also I do hate the V-Sync OFF the way it looks its bad. So it seems like the best way for now until I upgrade would be to just play demanding games at 60fps with V-Sync ON and monitor set at 60Hz I guess....right ?
I agree with XoR_. Shoot for 72 FPS in the meantime. You can set half refresh rate for V-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel. I've not noticed any ill effects from doing this in the past. You can keep the refresh rate in the resolution settings at 144 Hz when using the half refresh rate setting globally in 3D settings.

Fast Sync is an NVIDIA tech. It basically discards frames when the framerate exceeds the refresh rate to effectively eliminate tearing without introducing any input lag while still allowing the game to render as fast as it can. It will act like V-Sync off if the framerate doesn't exceed the refresh rate, though.

The lowest I'm turning down settings to is high settings for pretty much everything. Also no I can't use FastSync I don't have a AMD card. I'm playing some newer games and even turning settings to low isn't nearly enough to get my fps up to 144fps. Also I do hate when V-Sync is OFF it looks the worst to me. So it seems like the best way for now until I upgrade would be to just play demanding games at 60fps with V-Sync ON and monitor set at 60Hz I guess....right ?
Do not lower refresh rate because it will increase input lag dramatically.
If anything use V-Sync at half frame rate rate if FastSync + RTSS 72fps limit doesn't work for you and it doesn't work for you and you do not know how to tweak monitor refresh rate to fix it.
Other option is to just use FastSync and no frame rate limiter. Since you cannot push frame rates to 144Hz all you loose comparing to normal V-Sync is input lag.

Other option (most sensible imho) since you are upgrading your GPU anyway is to buy AMD card instead GTX 1060 and use FreeSync

Back