What's the best scraping application?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I'm using XBMC and a lot of the movies are wrong. Wall-E was seen as Walled In

I've used one before and it was alright, but it seems as though everything is screwed up. I spent a good weekend going through all of the movies and making sure that all but a few were listed properly. But like I've said, since them they seem to be screwed up again.

Last edited:
I had some of the same problems and had to rename a bunch of my rips because XBMC was getting names wrong. What I did to fix it was followed the naming schemes XBMC likes the most listed here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movies_(Video_Library)

I went through and renamed all the file names EXACTLY like they were listed on IMDB and put the year behind every movie ala (2011).

It works damn near flawlessly now.

I use Ember Media Manager. The main project was abandoned but was kept alive by some forum members. It's still the best program that I've come across so far.

I've also used Media Companion. That seemed to be the best one until things just got screwed up again. I'll take a look at ember.

Media Center Master is suppose to be good, I didn't like it much. I use Meta Browser because I prefer having control over the meta data of my movies. My problem with MCM and most of the other automated meta scrapers was that they would screw up my media files names, which previously worked perfect with meta browser and everything else, and rename them.

For example, MCM renamed Firefly to a 13 part 1945 movie instead of the awesome TV show it was. I tried forcing it to see it correctly but it refused.

So, my vote is always for Meta Browser cause I don't like my media being screwed with which is what the other scrapers did.

Media Companion is good. But the easiest way is what as MrSmegzabush said, search the name on IMDB and change the folder name and add year, XBMC will do the rest

Media Center Master is suppose to be good, I didn't like it much. I use Meta Browser because I prefer having control over the meta data of my movies. My problem with MCM and most of the other automated meta scrapers was that they would screw up my media files names, which previously worked perfect with meta browser and everything else, and rename them.

For example, MCM renamed Firefly to a 13 part 1945 movie instead of the awesome TV show it was. I tried forcing it to see it correctly but it refused.

So, my vote is always for Meta Browser cause I don't like my media being screwed with which is what the other scrapers did.

Never had this problem with Media Center Master. I use a script on the Linux box that downloads the shows to move them into the library and rename them. Then MCM has another pass and renames them further with the show name, episode number and episode name. I don't think it's ever gotten one wrong so far, but then the files that it's working with have consistent, accurate naming conventions.

The renaming thing in MCM can be disabled in the options if you don't want it to do that.

There's only two problems I've had with MCM. One was getting it to recognize series like Band of Brothers or BBC's State of Play...and that was solved by putting the files in a Season 1 folder. Easy enough. The second was for tv series that have two episodes in a premier/finale, and that was just a naming problem on my part.

In summary: I like Media Center Master. It's worth at least trying it to see if it works for you.

I've tried a ton of these apps. YAMMM is by far my favorite and easiest to use, not to mention it's free!

I was using metabrowser until they started charging for it. I used the trial version to see if the pay version was worth it but I didn't care much for the new interface. I then tried MCM as it was recommended by the guide over at AVS forums. Has worked fine with minimal interaction on my part once I pointed it to the folders.

Back