Whats the best low cost/ low energy firewall solution?

I'm looking for a simple hardware solution fpr a small business firewall. It's in a home, so nothing major is needed. Untangle seemed like a good option, but im not too keen on running major hardware or even a full pc if I dont have to.

What types of full range firewalls run on cheap hardware like the Nokia rackmount devices?

The last time I read up on this stuff was well over a year ago. Are those small devices still useful, or has the time come for everyone to use dedicated pcs for the task?

What features are you looking for?

I have a pile of IBM Thinkpad T2x series which I'm adding a second NIC to via a PCMCIA card....installing PFSense on 'em, and selling. This way, you get a mighty potent firewall with excellent QoS features, built in battery backup, low power draw, hardly any noise, etc.

But...what features specifically are you looking for? UTM? Strong QoS?

buffalo hp-g54 with tomato, you shouldn't need anything mroe at home unless you really need it.

YeOlde - this week = untangle at my office, will be talking to you a little more before i talk to Justin at Untangle to set me up from scratch. 2.8 Pentium D, 2GB, onboard nic and then a intel or realtek.

m0n0wall on a flash card running on almost anything :D Low energy foot print, quiet, very effective. Next choice would be DD-WRT. Or if you can spend some money a Cisco ASA 5505 is small and runs entirely off flash memory and is (obviously) very effective.

openbsd running on a soekris, but for a home office, a cheap linksys/buffalo + tomato/dd-wrt will do fine.

Back