What's the Best HD Video Editing Card for Workstation?

ReTiCuLeX

Gawd
Hey all,

As the topic states. Anyone know what's the best Nvidia or ATi card for HD Video Editing? Price has to be under $1,000. My job is looking to purchase one.

Thanks.

What software are you using? Some software is begining to use the GPU but most video edit programs do not. If you are using Adobe it was recently posted on their forum that the upcoming CS5 wil use it heavily and the GTX285 is the least expensive card that will be supported. Most programs that do support the GPU use CUDA so NVidia would be the direction I would look. I just built a video editing rig with a GTX285 and am very happy.
Mike

Yea... for HD Video editing right now most likely are going to be using a fast processor / memory / RAM Disks or whatever else you can come up with.

But "Video Cards" are for 3D stuff, not until recently have they started using them to accelerate 2D rendering... (at-least the same 3D cards we use in our normal desktops, I know they've had accelerator cards for a while :p )
That's still limited, so it depends on what your company is using for software, etc.

I run vegas, so I'm relying on 12GB ram and i7 920 @ 4.0ghz, which lets me do full 720p preview with some light effects @ full 29.97 fps... my q6600 @ 3.0ghz w/ 8GB ram couldn't do that...

Back