Whats the best deal you've ever gotten??

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) A Sharp 15' LCD TV for $179
2) A Buffalo 54g Router for $20
3) Historically every RAM price decrease...............damn good deals at the time :D
4) Toshiba 42" HDTV for 1200
5) lot's more..........I would have to think for a few

I won an Xbox bundled with MechAssault, 2 controllers, and the DVD kit when I went to another high school for one of my business classes and they had a sort of raffle. Out of 200+ people that put their names in a box, I was chosen.

Too bad I only use the DVD playback... :rolleyes:

Probably when I bought a TNT2 Ultra (at the time a little over $200), BX chipset motherboard, Playstation (original, not PS2), 8 port hub, and some other small crap all at half price from ValueAmerica. Bought a Fuji 1.3 Mpix digicam from Mercata for roughly a third off (just under $200 total) in '99 or 2000. Those were back in the retarded days of the Internet when stores would subsidize your purchases with startup and IPO money. Won a free copy of XP Pro as a door prize at a Microsoft event at school, that was pretty sweet. Bought a 2005fpw for $521+tax, don't know if that was a hot deal yet until I see if I can actually get a good one.

Best deal I never got was a Hitachi Superscan 19" CRT for $164 in '99. Regular price on that was around $500 I think. Special advertised sale or pricing error, you be the judge. Never did get the monitor, but got 50 bucks from the class-action lawsuit ;)

ok, I go to garage sales and do quite well.
HP Laserjet 6p - free - (12000 pages per month laser printer... has had the equivalent of one month's use - new toner cartridge too...)
HP Laserjet 6L - $5 (baby brother to the 6p)
Philips 109 Monitor flat screen 19in - $10
Trinitron 19in -$15
Xerox XE60 laser copier - $5 (new toner)
Also I have gone to a lot of store openings
for $5 got a Lexmark Z54 inkjet at a Staples opening.
At a Circuit City opening won enough "cash" in one of those st00pid fan blower cases they use for such events and got a TDK cdrw (at the time a $150 purchase)

Etymotic ER6 isolator for $40 shipped 3 day
40GB iPod $265 shipped very AR
Disposable Dell all in one printer + extra ink $20 AR
Panasonic CT470 cd player top notch sound quality and portability $25 ebay

Not computer stuff.... but four years ago I got a 55" HDTV that was priced on the sales floor at $4500. I paid $1100. I later found out that dealer cost on the unit was $2800.

superlyduper said:
Etymotic ER6 isolator for $40 shipped 3 day
40GB iPod $265 shipped very AR
Disposable Dell all in one printer + extra ink $20 AR
Panasonic CT470 cd player top notch sound quality and portability $25 ebay

"Etymotic ER6 isolator for $40 shipped 3 day"

DIE!

Just remembered my best ever.

First Edition Text.......Thermodynamics by Enrico Fermi signed from a library sale....price $1 :D

God they had no clue.....but I scored!

Big fan of auctions. Local computer store auctioning their remaining stock about 2 years ago. Got a whitebox Quad Xeon 500/1MB server with 2GB RAM, SCSI CDRW & 108GB of SCSI RAID goodness w17" monitor for $100. At the same place picked up 24 52X CD drives, dual PSU server case with hotswap SCSI bay, microATX PSUs, and the mandatory boxes of misc crap for $50. Needless to say someone was not happy when I came home with a minivan full of stuff. Two RMA'd SCSI drives later & the Quad still keeps the room warm to this day.

Toshiba 320CT Portege received a year ago for helping an old lady sort out a lot of items she bid on at an auction. Not bad for 30min out of my day.

5 17" monitors & 2 HP Laserjets (4 & 5L) with toner during a dumpster dive save at a university. Last year at a cost of 1 hour drive time and some creative stacking on my part in the little gas miser hatchback.

In 2000 paid $140 for a lot of misc Adobe Mac software & engineering programs with registration information at an estate sale. Multiple copies of Framemaker, Acrobat, PageMill, Photoshop & pspice. Selling it all paid for 2 semesters of state school.

I ordered an NEC LCD1760V (Black) from newegg.com last year for $415. When the monitor arrvied, the box had a hole on it (as if something penetrated it during shipping). The screen was scratched a little bit but it wasn't really that bad. However, I wanted a new one. So i called newegg and fedex then the next day, fedex came to my house and picked it up.

Newegg sent me a replacement monitor. A week after I got the replacement, Fedex came to my house again and gave me back the scratched monitor. I asked the guy why he brought it back, he said I can keep it if I want. So I gladly accepted it and gave it to my mom.

2 monitors for the price of 1.

Probably about 4 years ago.

I got 2 21" CRT beautiful monitors for about $200 total. At the time they sold for about 1900 each retail.

This laptop for 900 after tax and shipping. Would have been 750 but I got some extras.

Promeithia Mach 1 modded to R507 for $300 ;)

Thermochill 120.3 and AquaJoe waterblock for $150 about a year ago ;)

best recent hardware deals have been from HP (although i did get a free epson c86 a few months ago)

hp LJ1012 199 PM to 142 (115% pm guarentee) $30 off 150 coupon (had to buy some dvds) employee discount $5 $100 HPinfolab rebate:

$7

just got a hp3500 color: 549 - $50 off250 coupon -$400 hpinfolab rebate - sold the lj1012 for 100

$0
i love infolab!!!

Probably my 19" monitor, which was $95 before $120 in MIR

I also have a $100 2200+ Sempron machine from Frys BF.

Usually it's free software as mentioned by others by attending Microsoft training courses or seminars.

A friend of mine ordered a Diamond Monster II Voodoo 2 12MB card years ago when they were popular. By some strange twist of fate, he received an entire case of 10 of them and never heard a peep out of Diamond about it. I believe he kept two for himself for an SLI setup and sold the rest.

Funny stuff...

br0adband

I'd have to say my most recent transaction:

A hardly used Prometeia Mach II, Orange LCD kit, A64 install kit & P4 install kit.

$450 CDN hand-delivered to my door.

my 2000 mustang for $6500 after taxes and licensing a little over a year ago

me: half life 2 for $7.42.

a buddy of mine placed an order at svc.com for a 2500 Barton (this was i dont know how long ago), 2 sets of UV CCFL, 3 round cables. they were slow about processing his order so he called to bitch at them. low and behold, what arrives on his doorstep come delivery day? 2 boxes of the same order when he paid for 1. svc got screwed on that deal.

About a year and a half back, Dell had a 200GB Western Digital HDD (8mb Cache, 7200rpm, etc) for $120 after a $100 rebate. It got very interesting when someone pointed out that they actually released two $100 rebates, depending on what kind of customer you were. Upon closer inspection, one could see that while they were obviously not made for this purpose, they could use both rebates together. Dell threw a fit made it quite clear that they were perfectly justified in only honoring one of these rebates (which they were), but later agreed to honor both of them anyway. I had to wait about three weeks for all this to get sorted out, but I ended up with said hard drive for just over $20.

Props to Dell for putting customers over profits.

got a 21" monitor from ebay for 40$ local pickup the other day
got an infinity kappa perfect 12.1 from apawnshop going out of business for 30$ out the door
also got two audiobahn 2300hcq amps from them for 200 out the door

one of the 2300's ate the perfect though :(

CzarDestructo said:
those promedia ultras must have been refurbished :\

i don't have to hunt for deals, i know a lot of people and get lots of random hardware for free. my old laptop was a P3 850mhz Dell, i got it for free, just needed a power adapter and a bit more ram. i used it for two years and sold it on e-bay over the summer for $550 :)

i always get random computer systems from a friend of the family who owns self storage units, people don't pay so he changes the locks and cleans it out. he knows i know what to do with computer stuff so he just gives it to me.

nope..just got em today..good as new..it was a open box..still an amazing deal

Not really a deal per se but the 3ghz P4 I am using now didn't cost me a dime. Nice Antec case, Intel 875PBZ mainboard, 160GB SATA disk, 1gb ram, UPS... A colleague sent it to me overnight when I kind of fried my 1.2Ghz t-bird.

Aside from that, probably the UltraSPARC 1 that was given to me. Damn shame I can't take it to Europe with me.

Humm I got a 21inch monitor for 20 bucks like 2 years ago. Still using it today. Other things I got real good deals on are

free toshiba 2.4 p4 notebook with restore disks(had bad memory but put in memory i got for free) sold it for like 700 bucks

ibook 600 for 330(sold it for 400 and a airport card) then bought an ibook 800 for 400 and put the airport card in it. This was when the ibook g4 first came out. Striped the paint off the ibook and made it clear :)

I got a few replay tvs for like 110 bucks with 3 years service like 2 christmas ago when they fucked up and dropped the price when they still had ones that had service in the box. Rocks having a few on a network. They stream video to each other.

I also got some cisco routers from auction for like 20 bucks a peice and sold them on ebay for over 200 each.(I have done this alot with other stuff)

Today in Weis Markets I got a Hamtaro Plushie doll for $1. Couldn't believe the cute little guy was in the dollar section. oh yeah, thats [H]ot.

my best was the score early last year from Dell's screwup

200GB 8meg cache WD retail HD - 26 bucks shipped after MIR (the mir took 12 weeks)

Id say a few stick out in my mind.

Latest was the evga 6800 video card for $190 @ Microcenter.

Lexar Compact Flash 40X 1GB Card for $40 Shipped from tigerdirect.

I also hopped on the Inspiron $750 off deal for my 700m for 880$.

Hmm Just ordered the Dell 2005FPW for $520 Shipped. Not as good as the first poster's but good enough to justify the purchase.

Love a good deal. Significant amount of my deals are due to cmacclel a fellow member.

Justin

STRESSTEST said:
my best was the score early last year from Dell's screwup

200GB 8meg cache WD retail HD - 26 bucks shipped after MIR (the mir took 12 weeks)

I love my $26 200GB drive. That was the pinnacle of good deals.

Hmm, my best deals?

Low range: Win XP Pro for $30.

Mid Range: 50 inch High Def LCD-projection for about $2100. This was when the retail was $3500.

High Range: My 2002 BMW 3 series for $24,000, bought brand new back in 2001. MSRP would be about $35,000

JLavino said:
Id say a few stick out in my mind.

Latest was the evga 6800 video card for $190 @ Microcenter.

Lexar Compact Flash 40X 1GB Card for $40 Shipped from tigerdirect.

I also hopped on the Inspiron $750 off deal for my 700m for 880$.

Hmm Just ordered the Dell 2005FPW for $520 Shipped. Not as good as the first poster's but good enough to justify the purchase.

Love a good deal. Significant amount of my deals are due to cmacclel a fellow member.

Justin

How did you get it for 190? I thought it was 230. And can I still do this, because I'd REALLY like to.

Some stuff I've managed to get:

Through MSDN Academic Alliance, I've managed to get several free* copies of Windows XP Professional, as well as SQL Server 2000 and other stuff.

-Recently, there was a "Garage sale" at Microsoft where they were getting rid of some excess stock, and even though I had to wait hours in line, I managed to get a bunch of MS keyboards and mice for about $10 each, as well as some really cheap home software. I have no clue what I'll ever do with them since they're all not for resale, but I should be covered for presents for a while.

-Thanks to an employee purchase program, I just bought a Dell Axim X50v for $355+tax (+ some for adding an aluminum hardcase to the order, but that is the cheapest I've seen it so far.)

-At Christmas Eve, our extended family does a gag gift exchange as part of our get-together. A couple of years ago, I managed to come up with a Nerf Big Bad Bow. Having collected Nerf stuff at one point in time, this was a very good thing to get. Since I already had two, and another one in unopened box, I EBayed this one, and caught a nice little bidding war which resulted in a sell price of $96.00. Not bad for a gag gift, eh? I doubt I could get ever much more than half that if I tried to sell my other one.

*Free with purchase of college education of equal or greater value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back