What's the best CPU block for overclocking? Need help!

When you say the best what do you mean? If you are you looking to squeeze every last drop out of your OC then you better be thinking big ass Iwaki pumps, Thermochill radiators, and whatever you choose in the way of CPU blocks. Hope you also have a big roll of Ben Franklin's to blow as your going to need it. :D

What you asked for is difficult to answer unless we get a lot more information. What pump, radiator, and tube size you planning on using? Is this going to be a one block loop?

Try the new Swifttech Storm one that's pretty good.

Most of the top ones have similar C/W ratings of 0.13

When you say the best what do you mean? If you are you looking to squeeze every last drop out of your OC then you better be thinking big ass Iwaki pumps, Thermochill radiators, and whatever you choose in the way of CPU blocks. Hope you also have a big roll of Ben Franklin's to blow as your going to need it. :D

What you asked for is difficult to answer unless we get a lot more information. What pump, radiator, and tube size you planning on using? Is this going to be a one block loop?

agree 100%:)

CPU Q6600

Dtek Fuzion
Swiftech Apogee GT/GTX
AquaExtreme MP-05

While the Swiftech Storm is IMO the best looking CPU block ever, it is not fit for quads due to it's small cooling sweet spot; it's better for single small-die CPUs (Conroe, not Kentsfield)

Thanks guys i have a custom setup, This is my pump http://www.aquariumguys.com/rio800.html

yes i know it looks strange but it does the job pretty darn good. Im running costant 40F water temp through my hoses..

I want the best. What i mean by the best, I need one that is going to keep my temps LOW..

Dtek Fuzion if you want the best block.

The Apogee GTX beats it if you're willing to bow the base of it (which has some major risks).

Thanks guys i have a custom setup, This is my pump http://www.aquariumguys.com/rio800.html

yes i know it looks strange but it does the job pretty darn good. Im running costant 40F water temp through my hoses..

I want the best. What i mean by the best, I need one that is going to keep my temps LOW..

Best block for a quad right now is an Apogee GTX. The better the pump, the better it performs. You'll have to bow it for optimal results but its simple enough that even my 16 year old cousin managed to replace the stock O-ring with the included Bow-inducing O-ring.

From my own personal testing, nothing beat my Apogee-GTX w/ Iwaki RD-30 on a PA120.2 radiator. The D-Tek Fuzion is even or +/-1C of of a stock non-bowed GTX. The weaker the pump, the more the Fuzion pulls ahead.

That pump has awfully low head pressure capabilities... its only rated up to 4'. Most high end pumps on the market are pushing over 10, and up to 16' of head pressure.

Ive always wondered if the D-teks were worth the $125 price tag for the block..

Oh my bad, I was thinking of the Innovatek blocks...

This actually seems to be an awesome block for only $15 more than I was about to spend on a Koolange, and only $10 more than a Swiftech... thanks for the link!

I wasn't aware that D-Tek has released a block that expensive.

Yeah, I already corrected myself, I was thinking of the Innovatek.

Yes, there are quite a few companys that make GPU blocks, how available they are is dependent upon which card you are using.

anyone know if anyone else makes GPU blocks besides BFG?

I think every company in the WC'ing market has a GPU block. I've tested quite a few and find myself drawn to two specific blocks: EK's Full Cover 8800GTX block and Swiftech's MCW60.

The BFG blocks are manufactured by Danger Den. I'm sure other users can chime in with me about how badly machined those blocks were.

I know that the watercooling club is exclusive but I didn't expect it to be this exclusive. Is there anyone who feels like answering my question?

Bowing is just that - it's when you bow the base of the CPU block so that it is convex.

Wouldn't that decrease performance, since there are less contact area

That would be true except that a certain CPU manufacturer put out a bunch of shitty products. So if you get one of those shitty CPU's you will be buying another block when they quit doing it with their next series of CPU's.

Quality post TN.

Bowing the base puts more pressure on the part of the CPU that matters. It puts the pressure right on the die increasing contact in that area and improving the cooling.

anyone know if anyone else makes GPU blocks besides BFG?

There are lots of GPU coolers. The first one here is a plain vanilla AquagraFX. The main advantage to these coolers is that the VR and GPU heatsinks float in the block thus eliminating potential card mismatches between varying heights of chips.

18gtx-bm-lg.gif

8800GTX_3_200.jpg

The second one here is the same basic block with the accessory copper inserts. If you use these copper accessories you must use AC Fluid or you will be sorry. Even if you use AC Fluid you might be sorry anyway as AC ditches your warranty if you use these copper inserts in the aluminum blocks.

8800cu.jpg

If you use these copper accessories you must use AC Fluid or you will be sorry. Even if you use AC Fluid you might be sorry anyway as AC ditches your warranty if you use these copper inserts in the aluminum blocks.

I have to ask, not to incite argument just because it makes no sense, why drop the warranty on the blocks when AC makes mixed blocks... that just makes me go :eek:

Because with these cores copper and aluminum is side by side.

I have to ask, not to incite argument just because it makes no sense, why drop the warranty on the blocks when AC makes mixed blocks... that just makes me go :eek:

Because they don't make mixed blocks, but Swiftech does. :D

The Fuzion or Apogee GT/GTX will be your best bet for OC'ing a 6600, since it's a dual-die chip.

As for TN's comments, well... IBTL. :D

What I say? AC doesn't make blocks that have aluminum touching copper (my idea of what a mixed block is) They do make both aluminum and copper blocks that go in the same loop though if that is what you all are referring to. Swiftech makes a mixed block of aluminum and copper bolted together. Even AC says that all bets are off if aluminum and copper are touching each other with AC Fluid installed.

Now supposedly Swiftech has double plated their aluminum top which may or may not work okay. I guess we will know down the line sometime. Personally I give them a "GO" as I know how well AC does the hard anodizing and they don't have any problems with corrosion. I assume Swiftech ain't using the local yokel platers down the street. :D

I think every company in the WC'ing market has a GPU block. I've tested quite a few and find myself drawn to two specific blocks: EK's Full Cover 8800GTX block and Swiftech's MCW60.

The BFG blocks are manufactured by Danger Den. I'm sure other users can chime in with me about how badly machined those blocks were.

Ya the DD 8800 blocks suck. The cheap plastic where the fittings screwed into cracked, which reeealllllyyy pisses you off when you paid 125 dollars for a poorly machined block. Buy any block but the DD 8800 GPU blocks, well maybe not any block.

Back