What's the best 802.11n wireless access point? Airport Express?

jmk396

Gawd
Can anybody tell me why I should NOT get the Apple Airport Express access point?

My home network is 100% Windows (except for my ESXi server which has Ubuntu servers, etc). However, my only wireless devices are an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2.

I'm looking for something with 802.11n (for max speed on the iOS devices), and that has decent range. (my home is small, but I'd like to use it at least on my front porch, etc)

I really like the idea of the Airport Express but just want to make sure it's the right one for me before I order...

(Also, where's the best place to order? Apple.com? [there is no close Apple store near my house])

Airport Express is nice for the size and being able to plug speakers in. You don't specifically need an AE for your iOS devices. Also, it is a dual band router but it can't operate on both at the same time. Dual band is good for load balancing when you have a lot devices. Using the 2.4 band will give you better range but 5.4 (N only) will give you better speeds.

For range it might be beat by a regular access point that has high power external antennas and not behind a piece of furniture like the AE might be when it's plugged in.

I'd have a look at a WNDR3700 running OpenWRT, I don't know if they've fixed 5 GHz support yet in ath9k though.
//Danne

UBNT Unifi. Why? Because it's not a shitty Airport.
I've always heard good things about Ubiquiti products but aren't they for long-distance or business environments?

Right now I'm using a NanoStation Loco and the range isn't that great...

Does Ubiquiti make UniFi in a residential package?

I do like the idea of a nice high-end access point though... I'm using a Dell PowerEdge switch just because I do like having options and for learning, etc.

EDIT: Will the 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz be limiting for my iOS devices?

Last edited:
You want the Airport Extreme..not the Express. Have to say, it's the best wireless router I've ever used for stability and performance.

I've always heard good things about Ubiquiti products but aren't they for long-distance or business environments?

Right now I'm using a NanoStation Loco and the range isn't that great...

Does Ubiquiti make UniFi in a residential package?

I do like the idea of a nice high-end access point though... I'm using a Dell PowerEdge switch just because I do like having options and for learning, etc.

EDIT: Will the 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz be limiting for my iOS devices?

I've heard iPhone 4 only uses the the 2.4 band. So you'll want a dual band router or just configure the router to run in the 2.4 band. This won't effect N speeds. Choosing one or the other depends on how crowded your neighborhood is for wifi.

UniFi is good for businesses and home users. In fact it's categorized under their home products. They also sell a high powered wireless router and a device to make a high speed bridge between two points that devices are wired into.

Their access points are also made for ceiling or wall mount unless you want to leave it laying somewhere. You can use them to make a semi-mesh network but that's not specifically solving any of your problems compared to a regular wireless router. I've heard of good things from Buffalo high powered routers as well and you can use DD-WRT on them.

You want the Airport Extreme..not the Express. Have to say, it's the best wireless router I've ever used for stability and performance.

I still have mine from 3 years ago, works 100% using it right now... Would never sell it or trade it for anything..

Added two Ubiquity Unifi APs to my house, one long range, the other the normal model.

Best decision I have made in wireless. I love them, and they look sweet as hell when mounted on a ceiling. Great preformace, and the controler software is robust for being a software only controller.

Cheap, too. Brand new they're $69-99, but I camped eBay and got 2 for $30 each.

i just set up a Unifi too. Finally getting decent speeds, around 80 Mbps. FYI guys, the management software runs on another machine, there is no webserver on the unit. A ubuntu vm does the job.

i just set up a Unifi too. Finally getting decent speeds, around 80 Mbps. FYI guys, the management software runs on another machine, there is no webserver on the unit. A ubuntu vm does the job.

Yes but you only need to run the software when you need to change configuration it doesn't need to run all the time.

Hmmm, I actually forgot but I have a Wii that is connected via wireless (802.11g) and I sometimes use my PS3 via wireless (also 802.11g).

So I might need a dual-band wireless access point. Ubiquity doesn't make any 802.11n/g dual-band WAPs do they?

EDIT: I suppose I could use my existing Ubiquity NanoStation Loco for 802.11g but I'd still like to consolidate devices I guess...

Wireless N also supports B and G clients. You don't need dual band. Dual band is used for 2.4 vs 5 Ghz N.

Yes but you only need to run the software when you need to change configuration it doesn't need to run all the time.
After you install it, it's always running in the background unless you disable it or turn off the machine. Not a bad thing necessarily, just letting people know.

Wireless N also supports B and G clients. You don't need dual band. Dual band is used for 2.4 vs 5 Ghz N.
Ahhh - Thanks!

One last question - is there a big difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? (re: the iPhone and iPad 2; apparently both of them do support 5 GHz)

In brief, 2.4 ghz will give you longer range through walls and etc but will be more crowded with nearby wifi networks since most of them run 2.4 ghz. 5.4 is uncrowded but offers a little less range.

Really it sounds like you can just pick up any wireless router for yourself as long as it doesn't have a ton of bad reviews. A lot of times I just shop based off of reviews on Newegg.

Check out the Trendnet TEW-637ap's. I have 2 in my house and they work great. Had one on for 367 days before my fiancee accidentally unplugged my rack. It's up to 273 days right now. They can be had for cheap on ebay.

Does 5 GHz give you any better speed or is just a less crowded spectrum?

In my area, there are very, very few wifi networks... (I only see one neighbor from my house)

5Ghz is usually a less crowded spectrum. The only problem with 5 Ghz is that it doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4 Ghz.

Ahhh - Thanks!

One last question - is there a big difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? (re: the iPhone and iPad 2; apparently both of them do support 5 GHz)
My iPhone 4S doesn't support 5GHz - I have two SSID's at home and it only sees the 2.4GHz one.

My dad's original iPad, can see both.

@ tricky0502
I have two that connects at 300 mbps without any issues using OpenWRT, DD-WRT is apparently much worse.

//Danne

@ tricky0502
I have two that connects at 300 mbps without any issues using OpenWRT, DD-WRT is apparently much worse.

//Danne

i will have to try that, i was using dd wrt. i thought they were the same.

Back