what's the benefit of a thin key mechanical keyboard?

That's an interesting board. But it's basically a linear switch with a shortened travel. Shortened travel can help with speed, but not necessarily fatigue. I can type just as fast on my HP laptop keyboard as I can with my Model M. The differences is that even 4 hours on the Model M doesn't tire my hands whereas under an hour will with the HP. The newest apple laptop keyboards take this concept to the extreme, having almost no travel at all. It's almost like typing on glass or a touchscreen--and we all know how great that is. :eek:

But they call it a mechancial keyboard, whereas I thought it looks more like scissor technology. Because where's the spring?

Something can also be mechanical when there's no physical spring involved. I've seen several companies trying to make a new switch (infrared beam, hall effect, etc), that uses mechanics, but a switch that works without physical contact. I think the definition of mechanical keyboard is going to skew a bit to the point where anything non rubber dome that uses some sort of mechanism will be considered mechanical, even though a rubber dome is actually mechanical too because it too does have a mechanism. And Topre is the most extreme of this case where it is a rubber dome but is still called mechanical. Confused yet? :D

Interesting board. Makes me want to try those newer low-profile switches. Can you feel the actuation point before the switch bottoms or is it almost around the same point?

Actuation point is about the same. The real difference is the shorter keycaps. Typing feels kinda like a hybrid of mech and scissor switches. I like it and type well on it. I'm still fastest/most accurate with laptop style boards like the Logitech K810

You bought Havit? How many year have you been using it? and how good is it? I did look into that brand, but the warranty is only 1 yr. Whereas a few other top brand is 2 yr. So I skip it

Most of all, does it feel like a regular mechancial keyboard?

Yeah, I picked up mine over the summer. It was only $59, so a long warranty wasn't a concern to me. I switch between it and my Logitech KL810 for my daily typing tasks. I game with a Ducky One tenkeyless (Silver switches). The Havit feels well built; definitely a quality product. Typing does not feel the same as on my Ducky board. Like I noted above, it feels like a scissor/mech hybrid.

Back