What's Next For Netflix's Streaming Tech?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
From original programming to 4K streaming, Netflix has come a long way from mailing DVDs to your door. Now they'll be pushing the envelope further with HDR and HFR.

"The next step will be putting more and more information in the pixels, so the experience will be better and better" explains van der Helm. "But also a higher frame rate so the experience becomes even better."

Or they could stop beating around the bush and deliver live TV

"HDR ensures you're seeing extremely accurate colours that have a higher range," says van der Helm. "So instead of a ray of sunlight appearing washed out and white, you're able to notice the orange and yellow hues instead. It gives a much more exciting viewer experience with more colours, brighter highlights, better contrast and shadow detail."

So basically snake oil? Or are they going to make everything look like over saturated HDR garbage photos people post on Facebook (that people seem to love unfortunately).

So basically snake oil? Or are they going to make everything look like over saturated HDR garbage photos people post on Facebook (that people seem to love unfortunately).

Aside from your very valid point you can add in ROI. None of this will work without customers for High End TV as well as the proper source material.

Look at the market place in home electronics for a moment. MP-3 is fine for what, 90+ present of the market place so true music reproduction fell off a long time ago.

As for TV the investment needed from the movie studios, the TV stations etc. will be huge and the average viewer is buying the lower end of the TV market because to them it's good enough for the crap programing available.

Look at the camera market. Cannon, Nikon, Sony are suffering big time with the average customer who is more than happy with the snapshots they can get with their cell phones.

This whole idea of ultra high end HD TV has been around for a while but very little of the product ever gets to the market place. No source material, no market.

I think Netflix and others have answered a question nobody has asked.

Too many years in the AV business for me I guess but that's just my opinion based on experience...Money is tight, people as a whole will settle for the lowest common denominator that will work.<shrug>

Aside from your very valid point you can add in ROI. None of this will work without customers for High End TV as well as the proper source material.

Look at the market place in home electronics for a moment. MP-3 is fine for what, 90+ present of the market place so true music reproduction fell off a long time ago.

As for TV the investment needed from the movie studios, the TV stations etc. will be huge and the average viewer is buying the lower end of the TV market because to them it's good enough for the crap programing available.

Look at the camera market. Cannon, Nikon, Sony are suffering big time with the average customer who is more than happy with the snapshots they can get with their cell phones.

This whole idea of ultra high end HD TV has been around for a while but very little of the product ever gets to the market place. No source material, no market.

I think Netflix and others have answered a question nobody has asked.

Too many years in the AV business for me I guess but that's just my opinion based on experience...Money is tight, people as a whole will settle for the lowest common denominator that will work.<shrug>

Even high end TVs come with complete shit non calibrated stock settings meant to look good in stores or dazzle people in trailer parks across while sun from an open window shines on the screen . Even with some of the best mastered Blu Rays, most people have a bad viewing experience compared to what the reference material should be. Just adding "more color" isn't going to help anything.

Even high end TVs come with complete shit non calibrated stock settings meant to look good in stores or dazzle people in trailer parks across while sun from an open window shines on the screen . Even with some of the best mastered Blu Rays, most people have a bad viewing experience compared to what the reference material should be. Just adding "more color" isn't going to help anything.

Also very true. I was one of the first to get my ISF-Certs and pay the money for all the gear and cables.

First issue, when done to spec most people didn't like the picture...

Second issue it cost money calibrate a TV and again, most people won't spend the money.

Even in the so-called high tech forums (AVS etc.) the biggest parts of the forum are usually dedicated to the do it yourselfers who as a rule screw it up and the rest keep extoling the virtues of how much TV they can get for cheap.

Last, as you said "more color" no matter how wrong is always good right?:)

And if TV, MP3s, and photography has taught us anything about consumers, it is that they don't want high end reference quality anything. This streaming HDR content is going to be a marketing item for a couple of years, then damn near everything will have it and the TVs and technology won't be much better than they are now.

Live TV would be cool as long as they skip out the commercials :D

There is this thing called Sling tv that will let you watch live TV and thats with commercials, LiveTV is still way, way to expensive. Sling's pretty good but i wish they gave a little more choice in the news channel departments i really miss my foxbusiness.

"But also a higher frame rate so the experience becomes even better."[/I]

This. THIS!!!

I hate the extreme choppiness of scenes that have rapid panning that you get on Netflix... and it's far, far worse on HBO Go. (I'm pretty disappointed in HBO Go, to be honest. They charge 3x as much as Netflix - AFTER the recent huge price reduction - and have terrible streaming quality when compared to Netflix, not to mention the frequent outages.)

This. THIS!!!

I hate the extreme choppiness of scenes that have rapid panning that you get on Netflix... and it's far, far worse on HBO Go. (I'm pretty disappointed in HBO Go, to be honest. They charge 3x as much as Netflix - AFTER the recent huge price reduction - and have terrible streaming quality when compared to Netflix, not to mention the frequent outages.)

/pig pile
The HBO Go app on Fire TV run horribly too! It is like not one single person working on that app ever looked at another streaming app to see how smooth and easy to navigate they usually are.

I would totally dig 60 fps Netflix, I think that can make a bigger different in people viewing compared to just adding color. A lot of TVs already do frame interpolation and people seem to dig that even though it often looks terrible

279247_170x100.png

Back