What's my best option for a homebrew WiFi repeater?

Roman79

[H]ard|Gawd
Problem:

My D-Link DIR-628 is at the far end of my house (next to my desktop and cable modem) and my PS3 and laptop are at the other end of the house in my living room. I'm not sure what's in my walls but it is NOT WiFi friendly!

** Dlink Router & Cable Modem **

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||| WiFi Eating Walls ||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

********* PS3 & Laptop **********

I will sometimes loose my connection on the laptop if I'm on the far edge of the house, and my PS3 cannot stream HD content. I've tested the PS3 on a wired connection and HD content runs like a champ; sadly running a cable isn't an easy solution.

Solution?

So I was thinking about buying a cheap N router (maybe this little guy?) and flashing it with DD-WRT and putting it in the living room.

I'd like this 2nd router to:

(a) Plug into the PS3 thereby "upgrading" it's crappy wireless card to something faster
(b) Have it act as a WiFi repeater to boost coverage on the far side of the house.

So is this going to work the way I'm describing it here? That's my current understanding based on what I've read, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I order the hardware. Thanks!

Yup, using an e2000 in this way now. At 50 feet and 2nd to first floor I get 50% signal to an e3000.

Back