What's more likely to fail?

• IMC

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • DIMM slots

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Atl530i

Supreme [H]ardness
What's more likely to fail?? Memory controller in an i7 or DIMM slots on a mobo...

Memory controller if you were overclocking and overvolted it some.

if all the DIMM slots are bad I'd think cpu IMC, if it was the mb was failing one or a pair of slots would most likely fail

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1546247

Are you having an issue similar to this??

That is exactly what is going on with my board... I install memory in DIMMs 2 and 4 and it boots but when I install DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 it does not boot. I install DIMMs in all slots and it works fine. In Windows, it would report 8GB but 3.99GB usable. I changed some settings in the BIOS and it fixed it but I am not sure for how long. The memory is fine since I swapped slots and everything...

I have had more defective dimm slots than memory controllers, but it's hard to tell if the controller is causing only certain slots to not work.

That is exactly what is going on with my board... I install memory in DIMMs 2 and 4 and it boots but when I install DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 it does not boot. I install DIMMs in all slots and it works fine. In Windows, it would report 8GB but 3.99GB usable. I changed some settings in the BIOS and it fixed it but I am not sure for how long. The memory is fine since I swapped slots and everything...

Friend had same problem and then eventually gave up figuring it out and just ended up RMA

I've never been able to kill a processor with overclocking, and that includes using liquid nitrogen at -150C. I think the motherboard components are more susceptible to failure but I'd bet the ram would fail before the dimm slots themselves.

some motherboards require that certain slots be filled in order to boot.

Back