What's happening to my hard drive space?

Shoop

Limp Gawd
I have vista loaded on my machine and everyday I check my available hard drive space and it keeps getting smaller and smaller. I'm not installing anything either. What is happening to my free hard drive space?

You may need to look around and see if some log files are building up.
Maybe see if ccleaner can help clear some things out for you.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
In a pinch, file compression can help evade some disk space issues.

If you have the OS to sleep/hibernate that in itself can take up a lot of space. Run clean disk wizard and see how much garbage it finds.

get spacemonger

I knwo they have a shareware version but they used to have a great free version as well.

Okay, I just did a System restore and Shadow Copies disk cleanup getting rid of all the restore points with the exception of the last one and it freed up over 3 gigs of space on my hard drive. Why is Vista creating so many restore points and taking up so much space on my hard drive?

I can solve one of those issues. Disable System Restore. Safehaven for malware to hide + low percentage of actually working = no reason to keep it enabled.

Okay, I just did a System restore and Shadow Copies disk cleanup getting rid of all the restore points with the exception of the last one and it freed up over 3 gigs of space on my hard drive. Why is Vista creating so many restore points and taking up so much space on my hard drive?

It's a conspiracy between HD manufacturers and MS to get more $ out of your pocket. LOL, yeah I have no idea but was experiencing the same thing. Thanks I now know how to fix it. Can this service be shutdown properly to prevent this from continuing to happen in the future?

System restore does a lot more than just system restore points under Vista versions other than home premium and basic. It also provides automatic versioning backup of data files. Actually, the basic and home premium versions do this as well, but the tools for accessing the old versions are not included.

By default, it will use up to 15% of disk space for this. If you still want file versioning support and are using a Vista version that supports it, but want to limit it to less than 15% of free disk space, use the command line tool vssadmin.

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows-vista/vista-tip--reduce-system-restore-disk-usage-254365.php

Back