What's guild wars like?

Parmenides

Supreme [H]ardness
I know it's a well known game. Saw that the platinum edition is up at amazon for $8.

Good combat mechanics? Single player quality? (I care little about the MMO experience). Is it very similar to other known RPG's? Is it mostly grinding or is there some good story action? I need to spend my $10 amazon game credit before March.

Last edited:
Its a really good game. Don't listen to the people who try and compare it to wow because its better in its own right.

really good game, I enjoyed the prophicies story alot. For $8 its a steal.

Absolutely loved this game. More focused on strategy than level grinding (the reason I never played an MMO except Guild Wars). Huge amount of players on all the time, definitely a lot of fun to play. The game works especially well for people with busy lives as you can just set up a time to do things with other players and get it done, or even do things by yourself with henchmen and heroes (NPCs you can employ to fight with you in place of people). Highly recommend Guild Wars for anyone who doesn't enjoy the traditional grindfest of MMOs.

Absolutely loved this game. More focused on strategy than level grinding (the reason I never played an MMO except Guild Wars). Huge amount of players on all the time, definitely a lot of fun to play. The game works especially well for people with busy lives as you can just set up a time to do things with other players and get it done, or even do things by yourself with henchmen and heroes (NPCs you can employ to fight with you in place of people). Highly recommend Guild Wars for anyone who doesn't enjoy the traditional grindfest of MMOs.

That about sums it up.

Henchmen and heroes are a poor substitute for a real person, but they're good for running smaller quests and such.

It's like an MMO in the cities and more like a cooperative RPG in the instanced missions / outside world.

And for the first game, the training area (pre-searing) makes for a simple learning curve.

Great game, the SP is quality for as long as you can make it last. The MP is all clan PvP based as is most of the game in general. The level cap is 20, so you're going to be max level within a few hours of gameplay. This game is not about huge levels, its about leveling the playing field so that the only thing separating players is skill.

There is loot, and it is enjoyable but it is not like Diablo or WoW by any means. I really enjoyed the SP campaigns for every installment and mainly avoided the MP. Guild Wars has its own 'flare' so to speak, from the Lore to the art and mostly the game style. You owe it to yourself to play through every installment since when Guild Wars 2 hits, its going to be the talk of the town.

Be patient and let it soak in, you will be thrilled you bought it.

Guild Wars simply put is as boring as any other MMO game and it isn't worth the investment of time or money.

Sorry, just my opinion. I've given many of the MMOs a chance and I've been disappointed with each one. I think the idea is sound and I like RPG games in general, but WoW, Guild Wars, and others just fall way too short of delivering a good experience for me.

The best part about Guild Wars is getting online with a few friends and running the missions (uber quests) - if you are gonna go single player, those may prove to be more of a challenge but the game is fun regardless. I also like the limitation on available skills - one doesn't just run into battle chaining 15 spells.

I like that it is more about skill than just being a higher level. I do a lot with just heroes and henchmen. I did all of the 3rd chapter (nightfall) except for the bonus on two missions with just heroes and henchmen. Doing it that way certainly isn't the easiest, but it's very doable. I would say it is definitely worth 8 dollars (even just as a single player game).

Guild Wars simply put is as boring as any other MMO game and it isn't worth the investment of time or money.
I agree.

I haven't played tooooo much, but I do have ~800 hours in the game and spent time equally between farming, pve exploration, and pvp.

-The storyline is crap. I'm saddened to see GW2 continue the same storyline. I'm not a fucking nine year old.
-Spell animations suck and looked dated from the day the game was released.
-With everything needed for the HUD, including the highlighting targeting system, ability quick travel, etc...there is a complete lack of immersion.
-There is an absurd amount of spells, most seem pointless....and making new builds is tiresome...I'm happy to see that there's a lot smaller skill list planned for GW2.
-The world feels "walled-in"....
-Fighting enemy mobs is done at slow slow pace compared to Diablo 2, battles tend to last a while and get repetitive. I don't like long, drawn-out matches of whack-a-mole with the health bars.
-Mob placement is silly, the creatures you fight against in the game act nothing like animals.

I guess I just can't get past the horrible immersion. Quests in the game feel like chores. I can't take the voice actors seriously. The drop system is stupid. I could just keep going on and on. At least GW2 is somewhat on the horizon, and will address a lot of my issues with GW1.

I played it when it was released and after a few months they started a weekly nerf of every damn thing.
The way you had to instance all zones, at first I went great I will get 4 npc's and clean up..
I was getting 4 exp per kill and no drops they get most and what you don't know they never show their loot.
LAME
Then the first expansion was a super joke. to me it went down hill really fast.

I played the original guild wars. Good game on his own right.

well like I already said, I enjoyed the story on the first game. But really this game is mostly pvp focused, by the time your finished the game you will have the best armor and weapons (stat wise). They built guildwars pvp to be more skill based and not dependant on gear.

I agree.

I haven't played tooooo much, but I do have ~800 hours in the game and spent time equally between farming, pve exploration, and pvp.

You put 800 hours into a game you found boring? How much time do you spend on a game that you like??

GW was fun for a while, then it got old, just like any MMO, the only real MMO that had any staying power was WoW and I quit actually playing the game for the longest time, and used it more like a chat room than for any actual gaming.

It kind of peaked near the end of vanilla WoW

I can tell you this, Guild Wars is worth playing through single player and you'll have some fun doing some of the PVP matches for a while, but eventually you'll move on.

GW is the only Online game that I have play for years.

all other MMO or any other Online game simply turns me off due to grind in many ways..

GW is definitely worth a try for its price, I really enjoy it and the storyline is fantastic, beside "faction" is really boring for me other than its Kurzick vs Luxon battle.....

You put 800 hours into a game you found boring? How much time do you spend on a game that you like??

I had a year off from school. Being sucked into "mmo" thing for the first time, I would play just to grind for titles. I also grew up a lot over a couple years, and started finding more specific reasons to dislike the game.

I was playing to get to a destination (titles and rank) even though I was bored with the game mechanic.

I really wanted to feel immersed in the game, but that feeling faded so quickly after the beta and after Prophecies. I love the people at NCsoft, appreciate the hard work they've put into the game, and enjoy their interaction with the community. Many good ideas went into GW, but in the end I still feel it was a waste of time.

This is all my subjective experience of course, and others may feel differently. I played that game way too long only because it wasn't costing me monthly. In the end, real-life seems to take over for all of us that played MMOs, in spite of us really wanting to hang on to some alternate reality.

Last edited:
its ok, you play it once and you're done. Nothing really to do after you beat the game except pvp. No epic loots, the merchant item you buy is as good as it's gonna get. Lots of vanity items not really worth sinking time to farm for - they're just for looks and offer no stats bonus....

its ok, you play it once and you're done. Nothing really to do after you beat the game except pvp. No epic loots, the merchant item you buy is as good as it's gonna get. Lots of vanity items not really worth sinking time to farm for - they're just for looks and offer no stats bonus....

there is a lot of things after it, not just pvp..

I collect pets for fun..

trying to get Gwen Doll but I just can't afford it right now :mad:

It is a solid MMO really. For a no-fee MMO, it offers a tone of subscription worthy content. Not bad.

I had fun when i played it years ago when it first came out. I bought the first expansion thinking it would be fun like prophecies, but it was complete shit. very boring re-hash.

The first one was a lot of fun, I played all the way through to the last boss and enjoyed it. I felt it was fast game to beat, but i did play with my friends. People who just play with bots are weird.

Back