• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's going on with seagate?

scotty do

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
164
My 3rd Seagate 160gb SATA drive has just died. Any of the three times it hasn't given me any sign of failure, I'll walk into my room and I can hear a weird clicking or noise that's not a good noise to be hearing and get the "please insert boot disk" error. I do the RMA thing with it, get my new drive back then get the same problem. Unfortionatly they send me refurbished drives back.

I've called technical support, warrenty support with no luck. E-mailed them, nothing. Has anyone had this much trouble? There is no one to call, no one wants to deal with me. It's not like my drive is portable, or im throwing my computer down the stairs. It just dies.

My setup is like this.
A7N8X-D
XP2500@2.1ghz
1ghz OCZ pc3500EL cl2
ATI Radeon 9600xt w/ Zalman heatpipe and fan
2xSeagate 160gb SATA in Raid 0
IBM 46gb IDE
WD 100gb IDE
Sony 4x DVD-/+RW
Pioneer 16x DVD-Rom
Creative Audigy
Hauppauge pvr250
Enermax 465w PSU

CPU Temps are about 38c
Case is a LianLi PC65 (i think)
So there are 2x80mm fans blowing over the hard drives.
Case temp is normal as well.


Any insight? I have no idea what to do...I can't have my drives keep failing. I've had a few people say my power supply is good enough.

Thanks
-Scott
 
What does Seagate's HDD diagnostic tools tell you about the HDD after it 'dies'?

It wouldn't hurt to check the PSU with a DMM (leave everything connected and check a molex while the system is on). Are you experiencing any other weird issues? The fact that the other (non-Seagate) HDDs are apparently fine in this system seems to suggest that something other than a power issue is going on.

Why don't you try running the Seagate HDDs independently instead of in an array?
 
I havn't run the diagnostic, it's never been detected after 'failing'. I could try that though. I'll try getting a DMM to check as well. As far as any other problems? Rock solid, my computer has never ran so good before.

Nothing else could physically damage the drive though right? Like, lets asume the SATA controler is bad. Or i'm getting data corruption through the cables or something...would that be a factor?
 
Check your 5V and 12V rails w/ a voltmeter, just to be sure. It's always possible your PSU is defective and putting out the wrong voltage. Unlikely with a quality piece of hardware like an Enermax 465W, but still possible.
Also, feel your drives when they're running. If they're cool or just a bit warm, they're fine. If they're really warm or just plain hot, that's likely a problem. Of course, considering your cooling setup this is quite unlikely.

If your power and cooling are ok, chances are it's just a case of really bad luck. I have this theory that different people have different good luck and bad luck brands. I've had good luck with Seagate, bad with WD, and Quantum SCSIs. I've had a couple WDs go out on me, and I have a Quantum SCSI drive (original version of the Atlas 10k, 9GB) that wouldn't play nice with a previous SCSI controller. Of course I've also had a couple deathsarts die at work (f'n Dell put a Deathstar in my work PC, then sent me another one as a replacement. Grrr)
 
Anyone know who to contact at seagate? They don't seem to have a customer service line.
 
Back
Top