whats faster?

mike_6289

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
316
What’s faster?

4 Cheetah 10K.6 36G U320 (10,000RPM) drives in RAID 0
or
2 Cheetah 15K.4 36G U320 (15,000RPM) drives in RAID 0

they’re about the same price, and I’m not too concerned about the capacity (73 gigs is plenty for me on the OS drive)

I’ve got a Mylex RAID controller (U160). It cost me $1300 5 years ago so I’m not upgrading that(I don’t think the drives will go at 160 megs a second anyways.

So.. Whats faster?
 
Well the 15k.4 will sustian about 90MB/s so 2 will potentially overload a U160 card. 4 10k.7's will definetely they sustian about 75MB/s.


What processor is on the mylex card? If it is the older i960 my guess is that it will not be able to keep up 2 15k.4's. Besides unless you have a server board odds are you only have 33mhz 32 bit pci slots which will cap you are 133 MB/s.

I would personally just get a 73 gb 15k.4 on a pci-x U320 scsi card if that is possible. 2 15k.4's are going to get really warm. Seagate recomends that you keep the temperature under 50C to maintian that MTBF. With a maximum temperature of 60C. That can be kinda difficult to maintian in normal cases.
 
Its a card from either 1999 or 2000. It does support pci express and I will be getting a board that does that in the summer. Cooling wont be a problem, there are 4 case fans, one blowing right on the hds. thanks :)

edit: the firmware is from march of 2000
 
mike_6289 said:
Its a card from either 1999 or 2000. It does support pci express and I will be getting a board that does that in the summer. Cooling wont be a problem, there are 4 case fans, one blowing right on the hds. thanks :)

edit: the firmware is from march of 2000

If it is from 99 or 00 it doesn not support PCI-Express, it support PCI-X, totally different.

==>Lazn
 
Lazn_Work said:
If it is from 99 or 00 it doesn not support PCI-Express, it support PCI-X, totally different.

==>Lazn

:(

If I buy a PCI Express motherboard and I put my PCI-X card in, will it run at PCI-X Speeds?
 
mike_6289 said:
:(

If I buy a PCI Express motherboard and I put my PCI-X card in, will it run at PCI-X Speeds?

It will not fit in a PCI Express slot. It would be like trying to put an AGP card in a PCI slot, they are totally different.

If you put it in a standard PCI slot (which current PCI Express MB's still have) it will run at PCI speeds (PCI is 33mhz 32bit, PCI-X is at least 33mhz 64bit, and up to 133mhz 64bit)

==>Lazn
 
rather expensive

since the issue was raised
thought Id toss this in since I saw it the other day
really only applicable if youve already invested considerable funds into PCI-X cards and want to employ PCI-E

(thus a very limited market)

PCIE-PCIX-7S
Seven-slot PCI Express to PCI-X Expansion System
"PCIE-PCIX-7S is a 7-slot PCI Express to PCI-X expansion system that provides system developers an easy-to-use migration path to high speed PCI express capability while maintaining slot capacity for PCI-X and PCI cards. The system features a standard height 4x PCI Express host card, a 7-slot 5U 19-inch rackmount chassis and 5-meter cables. The expansion system is ideal for PCI-X/PCI-based multimedia and test applications that will benefit from the higher performance of PCI express."


if you dont have any use for that PCI-X controller though
well I have a few unused slots still :p
 
Back
Top