What's coming soon?

So, I'm feeling it's about time for me to get me something new.
I was wondering if there's anything coming out soon that I should go ahead and wait a little longer for that's definitely worth the wait. I play games and do a lot of photoshop work. Quad cores coming out soon?

Where should I be looking for news and info on future products so I don't have to come here and bug you guys?

Thanks!

amdboard always keeps a roadmap of amd processors, you can check them out regularly and they always have news if something is even remotely close to being launched.

Optys are the way to go...as of this moment. I have a sinking feeling the new Intel Xeons are going to start pwning AMD again.

movax said:
Optys are the way to go...as of this moment. I have a sinking feeling the new Intel Xeons are going to start pwning AMD again.

Opty's are totally the way to go, not as good as sex or choclate, but then again you can always find choclate.

But for how long will optys be the way to go? I don't want to spend a load of cash on a rig that'll be HuGeLy outdated in a couple months, I'd rather wait. Maybe this AM2 will be worth waiting for?

Also, how would dual dual core 265's or 270's & ~4gb ram work with large photoshop print files, games, and notepad :p . GIVEN: I'd rather not OC anything. I'd much rather spend the extra cash, just a quark of mine. It also doesn't have to be super fast at games, I'm not trying to set any fps records. But I would like it to be fast at photoshop (which is where more cores = better right)?

muchas gracias everyone

AM2's primary advantage is that you can use DDR2 now; it's cheaper and more widely produced. You'll also get the ability to upgrade to AM2 socketed processors, which initially, will probably be equal or just faster than their 939/940 counterparts, but continue to increase in clock speed. If anything, it'll drive prices on 940 hardware down...hopefully.

movax said:
AM2's primary advantage is that you can use DDR2 now; it's cheaper and more widely produced. You'll also get the ability to upgrade to AM2 socketed processors, which initially, will probably be equal or just faster than their 939/940 counterparts, but continue to increase in clock speed. If anything, it'll drive prices on 940 hardware down...hopefully.

DDR2 isn't usually cheaper than DDR, I'm not sure where you're shopping. lol.. I could be wrong, maybe it's just where I buy.. But I keep hearing about tight supply of DDR2 inflating the price..
However, DDR2 consumes less power and has its performance advantages (though, more lax timings than DDR, we'll see how AMD utilizes it though).

It's sort of at that mid-point right now where you're pretty safe if you stick with current-gen socket.. but at the same time, if you have the patients to wait for AM2, then it makes more sense logistically.

kaleb_zero said:
DDR2 isn't usually cheaper than DDR, I'm not sure where you're shopping. lol.. I could be wrong, maybe it's just where I buy.. But I keep hearing about tight supply of DDR2 inflating the price..
However, DDR2 consumes less power and has its performance advantages (though, more lax timings than DDR, we'll see how AMD utilizes it though).

It's sort of at that mid-point right now where you're pretty safe if you stick with current-gen socket.. but at the same time, if you have the patients to wait for AM2, then it makes more sense logistically.

Actually it is getting that way. DDR2 was cheaper than DDR1 last week at CompUSA even.

Production of DDR declining = prices up, Production of DDR2 increasing = prices down. I think.

movax said:
Production of DDR declining = prices up, Production of DDR2 increasing = prices down. I think.

Yep. Since AMD is going DDR2 and Intel is practically only DDR2, it doesn't make sense for DDR1 production to continue in the volume it has been in the last year or so.

You want to hold out for a few more months if you can.

Intel is going to be releasing the Conroe core desktop chips, which are replacing the current P4 architecture. Early benchmarks have shown a slower-clocked Conroe engineering sample chip having as much of a 20% performance benefit over an OCed FX60. Intel is about to take the performance crown back in a major way, investing in Optys now isn't the way to go.

lol u make it sound likes its ez to hold out.... i'd go crazy

well, my desktop is a 3ghz p4 with ht and that's what I do any productive stuff on (photoshop and dreamweaver, not all that demanding)

my dell i9300 2ghz PM is for games mainly.

I don't do THAT much print work, lots of web though, so photoshop isn't too killer in many cases.

I can probably hold on because I haven't really gotten a taste of anything that much more powerful. As well, having some actual, real life, non imaginary numbers in my bank account gives a pretty nice feeling that I think I've gotten used to :)

Back