What's causing this?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
OS - Windows Server 2012 R2
MB - Supermicro X9SRH-F
HBA - Dell Perc H310 )Plugged into a PCI-e 2.0 slot
HD's - 6 x IBM Branded Seagate 2TB SAS 3.5

Captuhhre.PNG

I've tried 2 different H310's and different slots and the results remain the same. I update to the latest drivers, they're from 2013.

I have other H310's running ion other systems that don't do this.

It's driving me nuts. :mad:

Looks reasonably normal for a copy of lots of files that are a mix of large and small. For each file there's going to be some overhead prior to the actual the copy that'll pause the actual data transfer very briefly. Performance will fall off when it hits many small files that it has to prep/etc. before the actual copy, and then climb when it hits larger ones that require less processing relative to their size.

It depends on two things--your source data (as mentioned) if it contains a lot of files and/or smaller files, will interrupted sustained transfers.

The other problem could be your drive's sector size. If those drives are formatted 520k, they can act funny like this.

I believe I've located the problem. Got a hint when one of the HD's suddenly lost it's name and reverted to "Local Disk". Tested it in another box and it tested good and all copy operations completed normally. I know the MB is good because I previously used it in a SM chassis without issues. In it's present case, a Fractal R5, it has demonstrated several anomalies so my money is on a flakey PSU. It's a Thermaltake 750w so I'm not surprised. Will know for certain when I replace it.

I believe I've located the problem. Got a hint when one of the HD's suddenly lost it's name and reverted to "Local Disk". Tested it in another box and it tested good and all copy operations completed normally. I know the MB is good because I previously used it in a SM chassis without issues. In it's present case, a Fractal R5, it has demonstrated several anomalies so my money is on a flakey PSU. It's a Thermaltake 750w so I'm not surprised. Will know for certain when I replace it.
try swapping the sata cable. also make sure theres no dust in the connectors.

try swapping the sata cable. also make sure theres no dust in the connectors.

They're SAS drives. I was using high quality SAS to SATA cables with Molex power cables built in. The MB has 8 SAS ports with SATA outputs. Put all the HD's in a SM chassis and they all function normally.

91Q9k8wYC-L._AC_SX450_.jpg

As far as I know I don't have any SMR drives and don't intend to get any. I mainly stick with SAS drives these days.

I Moved this MB to a SM chassis with SM PSU's. I just started a copy operation and so far it's not doing it. I believe the problem was the PSU. Need to toss it so it doesn't end up in another system.

Back