• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's Better for a FTP Server

TooncesLives

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
188
I want to put a few spare parts together and start a FTP server. I have the option of a 1.8 celeron or a 1.5 P4 for a processor. Does anyone have an opion as to what the better option would be, or wouldn't it make any difference? Since I have both laying around, and will be giving whatever processor I don't use to my brother-in-law (which he won't expect to have to pay me for), I'd prefer to keep the better processor for myself. Thanks!
 
The p4 has more L2, which will be alittle more important than actual clockspeed in this case so I would use the p4.
 
I'd go for the p4 also, unless it needs RD-Ram and the celeron will take regular ddr. Either one should be more than enough for a basic ftp box, unless it's going to be on a 100mbit line with lots of concurrent connections, but it would likely become hard drive constrained before CPU-bound.

 
Either one will be fine, unless you have a real 'high-speed' connection.
 
drizzt81 said:
Either one will be fine, unless you have a real 'high-speed' connection.
QFT.

I'd say go for the P4, since all the pre-prescott p4 based celerons were horrible performers.
 
Thought about overclocking?? if your motherboard allows you to of course....

Go P4...
 
What are you using this FTP for specifically? Just files?

Doesnt matter either one period l2 cache of not.

harddrives is what matters, and that is if your Inet conneciton to the system can go above 100mb+

or you plan to server alot of files at one time.
 
Basically this will be used for file transfers, and my roommate really wants to be able to use it as a game server (I don't game at all, so I don't know what kind of stress that will put on a box...I'm sure it's a decent amount). It will have a gig of ram (3200), an 80gig 10K OS drive. and an 80gig 10K data drive (if he wants to use it as a game server, he will put his 120 gig WD in it). It will be hosted on a T1 actually, since where I work has a rollover T1 that never has any activity on it (so we host a few personal websites on one server that is using the line, and that's it...I bet those pages don't get more than 30 hits a month). So it will have a decent connection :) I'm assuming everyone will say go with the P4. I don't think overclocking is a real option with this board, as it's an OEM Dell. I don't want to put any money into this machine (everything that goes into it will either be stuff that I've had given to me, had around from old builds, or salvaged from fried machines that are in the computer graveyard at work waiting to go to recycling). This really is a spare parts machine :)
 
If he wants to run it as a game server, definately go for the P4.

 
Back
Top