• Pentium 4 2.4B - 533 $135

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Celeron D 2.53 - 533 $85

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
READ BELOW BEFORE VOTING:

I'm NOT ASKING WHICH IS FASTER!!! I know the 2.4B would be a LITTLE bit faster in most apps. (benchmarks here)

Ok, my clueless friend wants me to build him a system on a budget.
& he doesnt game either
He keeps yapping - "NO ONLY PENTIUM 4 !"

I'm trying to help him out here, the cheapest Pentium 4's run about $138 (IE: like a Pentium 4 2.4 B - 533) and a Celeron D like 2.53Ghz runs about $85.

So $50 difference, same bus, Celeron has 256L2 vs Pentium4 has 512L2, but the Celeron has SSE3, and I think would overclock to 3Ghz easier.

(not going to push it hard, just a nice easy overclock so he wont have to worry about maintenance / stability)

Saving the $50 would allow me to put other better things in there like either more ram or upgrade from cheap CD-RW to a 16x dual-layer DVD burner. (please factor this in)

Hurry up & vote so I can show him the responses, and get this system on order!

I'm going to keep the system Intel, so dont chime in on how an AMD system would be better. And why dont you chime in on why you voted either way.

I'm saying go celeron, cheap, and OCs alot better than the B series.

And yes, AMD would be better ;)

its a celeron :( . anything with the name celeron has always been and will always be crap

Bugalaman said:
its a celeron :( . anything with the name celeron has always been and will always be crap

Marketing Speak has been pounded in your head too much.

So would you rather a 1.8 Williamette Pentium 4 b/c its called Pentium 4 and the Celeron is a "Celeron". Or maybe a Pentium3 b/c its not a "Celeron"

You're as clueless as the person I'm trying to educate. Thanks for the ignorant stereotypical generic statement "Celeron is crap". You probably can't even tell me the difference between the 2 processors. (marketing name, L2, SSE3, pipeline, core, micron, etc.. with out looking it up)

Read my thread, about #1 he doesnt game, #2 the budget constraints, and #3 the next comparable processor with in budget.

I didnt say would you rather a 3.8P4 or a Celeron.

skinegibbs said:
I've actually seen those celly's OC like a mother.

I know thats what I figure, an easy 3Ghz and that would be plenty of power for him. Plus I dont want to push the stability, so trying to remain conservative.

PS.

Here's the planned system: (all from Newegg.com)
ASUS T2-P barebone ---- $134 (for size & convience - 865 based)
Lite-ON 52x32x52 CD-RW $22
WD 80GB Special ----------- $57
PDP 2x256 3200 ram ------ $90
Celeron D 2.53 --------------- $85
GF4 mx420 (used) --------- $ free
WindowsXP Pro ------------ $148
Shipping ------------------------ $15
TOTAL --------------------------$550

I mean I used to totally hate celeron because of the name and lack of performance , but it looks like it changed now.

AMD and just say its a p4 if hes completely computer illterate he wont know.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
AMD and just say its a p4 if hes completely computer illterate he wont know.
6800GT
1 GB of Kingston 3500 Ram

I totally could!! :p but wouldn't!! ;)

How come an Intel system, Mr AMDXP man?

P.S. what sucks is I just sold a P4 2.53Ghz Friday for $86, he'd been talking about me building him a system for months but never gives the go ahead. Now today, 1 (business) day after I sell the chip that would have been perfect he says ok lets do it!!

Same thing happened with a system that I had... I told him if he wanted it send me a check, like 2 months later when I have a deal pending on it, he says he wants it.... TOO LATE!

excessive bump, b/c want to get more votes so I can order this by tomorrow morning! :)

i think u would be better off gettin AMD, an A64 or a regular athlon xp barton IMO but id go for the celly since its cheaper and can be overclocked

I really hate celerons....eww, i hate them lol. But, I run a Pentium3 for my server, and I'm sure that $85 CeleronD stock would smash my Pentium3, uber Pentium tag and all :p But since he's not gaming (did that videocard give it away? noooo :D) and isn't a power-user, a 3GHz CeleronD would be good for him. A few of you people need to get your heads out of your ass and read the post before voting. Pretty sick that many people have went for the Pentium name....now if it were me I'd get a Pentium, but then again, I'm a definate power user with sourcekills.com running forums/stats/website/gameserver...all on a pentium3 and I might upgrade. I've half-thought about celeron, but for me I'd rather have too much power than not enough.

But for a LEGIT COMPUTER for $550, which he will tweak for a user who DOESN'T GAME, wtf does he need a Pentium for? You got my support.

I still say you should seutp a sempron box. Sempron > Celeron. ;)

tsuehpsyde said:
....A few of you people need to get your heads out of your ass and read the post before voting. Pretty sick that many people have went for the Pentium name....

But for a LEGIT COMPUTER for $550, which he will tweak for a user who DOESN'T GAME, wtf does he need a Pentium for? You got my support.

I still say you should seutp a sempron box. Sempron > Celeron. ;)

Yeah, well there's no chance of convincing him to non-intel. I'm having a hard enough time trying to explain a Celeron D = Pentium4 A & Pentium4 B's (not C's, EE's or E's obviously)

Obviously, they are not reading my post. Yes, a Pentium4 is better if price is no concern, etc. But I was trying to upgrade some other stuff like 52xCD-RW to 16xDVD-RW.

Here's the funny part..... the reason he's screaming "Pentium" is b/c of this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/sysreqs/default.aspx

450-megahertz (MHz) Pentium II-class processor,
600-MHz Pentium III-class processor recommended

He thinks Pentium3 > any Celeron

I've about given up on convincing him & I'll let him pay 10% more for the pentium4 which will probably overclock less, and perform about the same. But whatever, all he really does on it is web development.

webmark-2.png

chrisf6969 said:

theres a few things i would change in that system.
PDP 2x256 3200 ram $90 -> Kingston 1x512 3200 ram $64 (using both dimm slots limits future upgrades)
WindowsXP Pro $148 -> WindowsXP Home $93 (home works just fine)

that should save you $81 and with that you could..

add another stick of 512MB ram

or

upgrade the lite on drive to a samsung combo drive
and
upgrade the processor to a 2.4c p4

or

save him $81 off the cost of the computer

but if it were up to me i would upgrade the lite on drive to a samsung combo drive and upgrade the processor to a 2.4c p4. even if you dont overclock the processor hyperthreading is pretty nice and makes the system feel smooth. i personally would have went amd but if its a intel p4 that will make him happy then why not give him what he wants? who are you to force him to get a "inferior (in his eyes)" processor? dont force the celeron on him is all im saying :)

if you do go for the celeron D i suggest the 2.4ghz version. Its $11 cheaper and the one I had was able to reach 3ghz without a bump in voltage.

The PDP is for the overclocking (I presume) so he's gonna need the PDP (once again assuming, the XBL memory).

bitchbreaker got his 2.53 celeron D up to 4.2 on water I believe. Go with the celeron and upgrade your other parts.

they only people that count in this vote are the ones that have owned one really...i thought the celly was crap untill i bought one, and now i swear by it...probaly the coolest running cpu ive had, and deffintly overclocks like none other...

Get the celly...no doubt about it, get the celly, ive got the LGA 2.53ghz and i love it

TheLonelySwedish said:
bitchbreaker got his 2.53 celeron D up to 4.2 on water I believe. Go with the celeron and upgrade your other parts.

as i did with mine...i got to 3ghz with stock air cooling, ill see what i can do with my vapo when i get it

chrisf6969 said:
I know thats what I figure, an easy 3Ghz and that would be plenty of power for him. Plus I dont want to push the stability, so trying to remain conservative.

PS.

The major hole in this is that the T2-P doesn't have ANY OC abilities. It won't even detect if you do the BSEL pin mod.

/edit: the other thing is that pretty much and P4 you buy now will at least be a C1 stepping which means 3GHz is pretty much guaranteed during OCing. If you want to save some serious $$, I would reccomend going with a Mobile Celeron. For <$50, you can get a Mobile Celeron 1.6 and most of these hit 3.2GHz without issue (plus, they have 256k cache and I think their cache associativity is higher than a desktop celeron).

honestly, if you're looking to save $50 i don't understand why you would invest in such a expensive MB. Why not skimp on that and put the better processor in?

ps: i voted p4. IMO the extra 256mb of cache is well worth the extra money.

and of course, if you're really interested in the best cost/performance ration i think an AMD is a must.

BigBadBiologist said:
The major hole in this is that the T2-P doesn't have ANY OC abilities. It won't even detect if you do the BSEL pin mod.

/edit: the other thing is that pretty much and P4 you buy now will at least be a C1 stepping which means 3GHz is pretty much guaranteed during OCing. If you want to save some serious $$, I would reccomend going with a Mobile Celeron. For <$50, you can get a Mobile Celeron 1.6 and most of these hit 3.2GHz without issue (plus, they have 256k cache and I think their cache associativity is higher than a desktop celeron).
or get a mobile p4, they hit the same speeds and have the extra 256kb. ive got a 1.8C1 coming in soon if you are interested

edit: and you can have it for 60 bucks :)
edit2: note that all p4-m chips default to 12x (lowest speedstep multi, same as 2.4C) and do not have the heatspreader, so you will have to have a HSF that will make contact with the core, as the p4 retention bracket is meant for chips with the IHS. when i get them in i can test em and give you one that will OC damn well, if you like. mobiles go in any 478 board.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...cFam=826&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL
shoot me a PM if you want it

yeah, but mobile P4 CPUs default to a 12x multiplier. Unless you have killer RAM, in order to overclock well, you have to run a mem divider, which I don't like doing with P4 systems.

/edit: it looks like you beat me to that statement. :)

oh right.. celerons dont have speedstep....

i think if hes looking to get a 533mhz chip, running a 5:4 ram divider (at like 250fsb) wont hurt him that much, his memory will still run pc3200, and his chip will be at 3ghz with a fsb of 1ghz

edit: *shrug* i still think its a damn good option, it will appease your friend and his pentium obsession, its less than half the price of the desktop p4, 30 dollars cheaper than the celeron(after shipping), and i can garantee an OC. i have an Abit IS7-E to mess with it in.

BTW, i cool mine with the zalman cnps7000B-cu with a slightly modified mounting bracket.

I say 2.4B because in my mind it is the better investment. Though the celeron has half the cache of the P4, don't forget its based on the prescott core and that cache is to make up for loss in performance. Remember when the prescott's came out, at the same speed with double the cache they were still slower than northwood. Also, SSE3 has almost no bearing on any available programs to date so thats just Marketing hype.

It'll be a great internet browser either way though. ;)

Ended up with 4.7 on phaze change cooling,was only stable for 30 min's,cpu nearing 2v,evap temp @ -55*c cpu @ -35*c ran hard core!

i currently have a 2.4A at 3.6 on a crap water system (i did 3.4 on air) and it is pretty nice. Also i had a 2.4D and i had it running 3GHz no problem without vcore increase. I am sure it would have went much higher is i had tried.

skinegibbs said:
I mean I used to totally hate celeron because of the name and lack of performance , but it looks like it changed now.
yeah those old celeron 300s than would clock to 450 for a cheap dual bp6 setup sure did suck!

I always compare numbers and not names

I ended up not building that friend a system, he's too much of a pain in the ass anyway!!

but I did build another Celeron system, for my mother in law as a B-day / mother's day gift.

I went with:

ASPIRE X-Dreamer w/ 420W PSU ------ $48.00 (pimp granny's ride!)
ABIT AS8-V (LGA 775) 865PE ----------- $86.00
WD Caviar SE 80GB 7200SATA -------- $58.00
Windows XP HOME SP2 OEM ----------- $91.95
Celeron D 330J 533MHz 775 ------------- $88.99
GeIL Value (2 x 256MB) DDR 400 ------- $42.81
used 7-in-1 card reader ------------------------ free
used 40x12x48 Lite-On CD-RW ------------- free
used GF4 Mx420 --------------------------------- free

Subtotal: $415.75
Shipping: $36.98
Amount Paid: $452.73 ---- (all Newegg)

I didn't play around with it very much. I ran a few benchmarks at 3.0 & 3.2 at default voltage. At 3.2 it ran a little warm. And since I wanted the system to be "maintenance free", I just left it at 3Ghz. At 3Ghz it will be 100% stable and won't overheat when its full of lint bunnies, etc.. and still more power than she'll ever need.

Prescott
Northwood
Williamette
Tualatin
Coppermine
Mendocino
Deschutes
Covington

I think Northwood, Williamette, and Convington were all terrible Celerons. Northwood because the removed too much cache and because of the way the architecture works it was very crippling. Williamette because all Williamette CPU's sucked, the Celerons probobly weren't all that bad compared to how crappy the regular Pentium 4's performed. Covington had no L2 cache at all, it was Intel's first attempt at a budget cpu, give em a break, the one good thing about these were that they overclocked like a mother.

Between those 2 cpu's, go for the celeron. Your not losing much because that P4 doesnt have 800FSB or Hyperthreading. In fact your gaining a newer revision core which includes some functions such as SSE3. Plus if you plan to overclock, that Celeron will overclock much higher than the P4.

I vote for my champ 2.53 celeron D to come out of it's case 1 more time for a -100*c oc @ 1.9v :) more to come later on!

Back