Whats a solid compatible sound card for vista64?

Hammyton

n00b
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
56
I'm still using an old SB Live Value, and I went through some major hassles to get it installed in Vista64.

Creatives driver support has been pretty terrible and after experiencing some intermittent soun d issues i figure it's time to invest in a new card.

What's a good vista64-compatible card? I read too much about games crashing because of this or that driver issue with their SB card and don't want to end up with something like that.

Thanks,
 
Asus Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi, HT Omega are all good options and should work well. One thing to watch out for is if you have nvidia stuff because that causes issues with some soundcards.
 
Thanks for the responses; I looked up all the cards and they look like superb solutions but are all a bit expensive.... I don't need 7.1 or even digital output. Maybe a lower-end solution?

Do they make a Asus Xonar Value? :p
 
What do you need, and what can you afford then? You didn't say...

The obvious lower-end solution is the one built into your motherboard...it would help if we knew what you're looking to accomplish so we can direct our responses accordingly. :D
 
You have really good alternatives. If you wish to have a great sound card, try the Creative Titanium PCI-Express which I have had great luck and sound with. I also enjoy using my Fatality PRO PCI regular. Creative took awhile, but they have gotten around to updating their drivers and applications for Vista and Vista 64. I use the driver pack customized by Daniel K.. He is a simple user that has cleaned up the Creative mess to make their software work well in Vista, Vista 64 and now Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. The prelude would be a great card, but 1) its expensive and 2) the microphone does not work after countless driver upgrades and "fixes". There are good cards made by Asus and HT Omega, but they are not gaming cards at all. They are made, in my opinion for audiophiles, that are worried about frequency responses in ranges they cant hear. I bought my Fatality and Titanium on Ebay for $40 apiece. They retail for much much more than that. In conjunction with these drivers/apps : http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=141125

You wont have any problems I can foresee......You can update the drivers themselves after installing the pack, as I have done. Their newest driver fixes problems with NVIIDIA chipsets, 8 gigs of memory and blue screens.

Cheers,
Earl
 
Asus Xonar, Auzentech X-Fi, HT Omega are all good options and should work well. One thing to watch out for is if you have nvidia stuff because that causes issues with some soundcards.

Would question that.. Never had an issue with sound cards and Nvidia.. used multiple Creative cards and now an Auzentech. Recommend Auzentech or HT Omega.
 
Thanks for the responses; I looked up all the cards and they look like superb solutions but are all a bit expensive.... I don't need 7.1 or even digital output. Maybe a lower-end solution?

Do they make a Asus Xonar Value? :p

Asus Xonar DX is what I have. It's about $60 after rebate.
 
Back
Top