What's a highly reliable file manager

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Believe it or not, I am still using an old software from Symantec called Norton File Manager (Navigator). It's still better than Windows File manager.

It has its limitation as it only read up to 4 GB, so if the hard drive is 160 GB, and I'm copying a no. of files, after 4 GB of data is copied, the software will say the disk is full eventhough it is not.

However, I have to use this software as I can highlight individual files without holding on the CTRL key, I can also select SOME files by the Select Some option.

What I need is on top of the above, when I do file copy, to have a File Verify function.

I also need a function that when I press the return key, it can Select the files when the return key is pressed. So, if I need to select 35 files, currently I have to click it 35 times, by holding the return key, it's much faster.

Is there such a software? It's too bad Central Pt. software got bought out by Symantec, as they made the best file manager.

I generally consider one GUI file manager to be much like any other. When reliability is a priority, I use the command prompt. Fewer moving parts ya know.

I done some research on my own, but so far, no reply yet from manufacturer.

http://www.sprintbit.com/filemanager.htm Sprintbit File Manager, just by judging the s/w via the price ($19), I don't have much hope on it.

www.uexplorer.com has a Universal Explorer, seems to be using the old windows 3.1 structure as the color of the software resembles the old style, not the XP style.

AB Commander's http://www.file-manager.com/ <-- anyone try this guy? They got back to me today, in short, it sucks. Would you believe I still have to hold down the CTRL key if I need to highlight more than 1 file at a time? That 1995 Norton Navigator does not require me to do that. And no file verify. PC Tools has that. That's 1988.

==========

Edit:

I went to the above 2 web site, Opus and xplorer2, based on the info and screen shot, I don't think they have a File Verify function. Which is very strange. When I backup from hard drive to a DVD, Nero gives that option. So how hard can it be for a file manager to offer that option?

Back