What's a good subscription-free DVR?

Cliff Couser

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking for a Tivo-like alternative without the subscription and so far, I've only come up with a couple of models from Panasonic.

Anyone suggest any good models they've had experience with?

I'll be using it with CATV (HDMI input) and output going to a 42" Plasma.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Uhh... build your own?

Vista has Media Center built in, including subscrption free DVR capabilities. Not just that but you can record more than one tv show at a time if you have multiple tuner cards... I think Vista supports up to 3 tuner cards right now.

and vista media center/mce 2005 has by far the best guide you can get. i can get a multiple tuner pvr for $8/month from time warner but i built my own specifically because of the media center guide.
with an amd brisbane dual core, matx board with onboard vid and sound, 2gb ddr2, 500gb hdd, hd tuner and vista home prem you can have a htpc/pvr for less than $520

Yeah I forgot to mention the guide is fantastic... I've only had it up and running as a PVR for about 2 days but so far it's great. As far as price goes, the investment in converting an existing PC like I did was $165. $65 for a tuner and $100 for and additional 500Gb of storage. Media Center does the rest.

I'm using a 360 as an extender so no there are no issues about fitting the PC in with the other components. But I could since it is a SFF build. I like that the 360 can be defaulted to power on in MCE and that it can upscale DVD's to 1080p. So the PC can stay in the office.

Also Microsoft bought Webguide and offers it as a free download. So now you can also access the guide and control your diy PVR on the road or from work via PC or mobile device (phone or PDA) AND Webguide allows you to stream your recorded shows and other media through any internet connected PC (or mobile device) with a browser.:cool:

What can Tivo do?

Looking for a Tivo-like alternative without the subscription ...

I'll be using it with CATV (HDMI input) and output going to a 42" Plasma.

Well, I hate to have to inform you, but you're screwed. It's just not gonna happen. You cannot currently record from an HDMI source.

As far as "subscription free" pvr apps, MCE is highly regarded by many folks here. I use MythTV, which is excellent and was free. Until recently. Now I have to pay for tv listings because some greedy bastards abused the source that provided free listings (zap2it).

Anyways, for HD content, you basically have (very) few options:

OTA Broadcast using an antenna and a capture card (best picture quality)
QAM Tuner card pulling data off of your cable lines (can be hit or miss, depending on your cable provider)
Firewire out from your cable box (if it has one)

Good luck.
-q

Back