What's a good Sound Card

Imp

Limp Gawd
Whats a good sound card + affordable + sound decent + less than 50 bucks

My Asus p4p800 integrated sound card sux, when I try to run something...the sounds get distorted

You can get an SB Live 5.1 on new egg for about 30 bucks, or an Audigy for a little over 50.

Basically, Chaintech AV-710 ($27) < Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 ($45) < Turtle Beach Santa Cruz ($49). For $63, you could go for the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS, which is just a step down from the Audigy 2 ZS. The real steal is that Chaintech card. It not only offers 7.1 support but more importantly, 24 bit/192 kHz audio resolution. Its Envy24HT-S chipset is solid but lacks hardware acceleration for 3D sound algorithms/reverbs.

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 hands down.

Umm, WHAT? :rolleyes:
Why don't you try reading the post for once.

Because you missed it the first time let me try to make it more clear to you so that maybe you can see the idiocy of your reply.

Whats a good sound card + affordable + sound decent + less than 50 bucks

Care to show me one fricking place that sells a Prodigy for less then 50$? :rolleyes:

save ur money and get the Audigy 2 ZS. the sound card u have now is fine. why spend some money on another crapy one. the sound card u have now works right? then why buy another one? i know its crappy but it works. see what ur going to be doing is buying 50 dollar cards that dont last long. for each 50 card you buy you could have been 50 dollars closer to the Audigy 2 ZS. take my advice and stick with your card right now and save for the Audigy 2 ZS.

I guess the real question is....what speakers/headphones do you use? Do you plan on upgrading them anytime soon?

The real steal is that Chaintech card. It not only offers 7.1 support but more importantly, 24 bit/192 kHz audio resolution

As I recall, it only supports these resolutions with a 24 bit Wolfson stereo DAC on one of the outputs (either fron or rear, I forget) and uses a VT1616 CODEC for the other outputs.

The VT1616 typically sounds excellent as a standalone integrated CODEC, IMO, so I wouldn't consider this a problem personally.

That's right. I didn't mean to be misleading, because you can't get 7.1 (or 5.1) and 24/192 at the same time with the AV-710. Anyways, it's immaterial. Someone who wanted a budget soundcard wouldn't care about 7.1 or 24/192 anyways. Nonetheless, I stand by my recommendation with regards to its sound quality.

Originally posted by Imp
brought nothing

Why, what are you waiting for in sound cards?

nothing new seems to be coming in the horizon.

Personly i just got an audigy ls for my audio needs. Nice enough sound card and doesn't bog on the pockets.

just get the audigy gamer card. its 6.1 and its a great card. i have it and love it. i am going to upgrade to the audigy Audigy 2 ZS

I'm looking at either an Audigy 2ZS, maybe the platinum version. Or, a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 myself.

does sound card really make a different in sounds? because I have a crappy speaker

the sound card makes the biggest difference. you can adjust where the sound is coming, you can put on more bass or treble. it just sounds a lot better. also u can have surround sound. you cant have 3.1 or higher on a 2.1 sound card,

I think the more important factor is that good sound cards have better audio quality. Less noise, truer sound, etc.

However, if your speakers are bad, it probably won't make a big difference.

Originally posted by DRJ1014
the sound card makes the biggest difference.
Not if the speakers can't accurately reproduce the soundcard's output. The speakers are far more important, especially in the computer/multimedia realm.

Originally posted by xonik
Not if the speakers can't accurately reproduce the soundcard's output. The speakers are far more important, especially in the computer/multimedia realm.

exactly what I was going to say

Generally speakers are much more important than source. Given a total budget of $300 for a sound system, you'd be much better advised to spend ~$250 on the speakers and ~$50 on the sound card. Unless you wanted a Revo. :)

Originally posted by zachary80
exactly what I was going to say
i really dont get why people do this. if its what u where going to say and he said it theres no need to say this.

Because he likely wanted a discussion among many people. If two people agree on a view, it lends a little more credence to that view. What is this, Rhetoric 101?

Originally posted by GodsMadClown
Because he likely wanted a discussion among many people. If two people agree on a view, it lends a little more credence to that view. What is this, Rhetoric 101?

That is basically what I was going to say ;)

What I am confused about is why you needed to comment on my suportive opinion? What did it add to the discussion? Wouldn't it be better to just contact a person over PM? Or were you legitimately asking instead of questionable criticism? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Back