Whats a good router for my needs?

aybdude42

Limp Gawd
Hi there. I am in need of a wireless router to replace my old DL-514 junk. It needs to be wireless and fast, and probably under $100. I do alot of gaming, and torrent speeds are pretty important too. I have 2 wired connections and 2 wireless. I think both of the wireless recievers are either B or G but I dont really care about the wireless speeds, just the wired. I've heard things about the Linksys WRT routers, are they any good? What do you guys recommend?

I'm a fan of the Buffalo routers that can run DD-WRT. Modding and overclocking your router ftw!

Search function...there is usually at least 1x of these questions per day.

DLink 655 is the top performing "home grade" router these days. Their older model, the 4300, is still decent...although starting to get long in the tooth itself...think it's over 3 years old now.

Linksys/Cisco wrt300n is another good one.

I don't recommend their old wrt54g series...waaay outdated and current generation routers blow the doors off of them, even if they're running DD-WRT..which yes can help a bit over stock firmware...but they still pale in comparison to todays current generation routers.

I'd also recommend the overlooked ZyXel X-550, which is a rock-solid little router...a bit older now as well, though, and not cutting-edge--but solid and fairly inexpensive. Probably not l33t enough for the average [H]-er, though, who'll probably go for the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and drop DD-WRT on it...

As for a newer one, I suppose the DIR-655 is probably the proverbial it. Someone want to buy me one?

Back