whats a good cheap cpu cooler?

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
im building a computer for my roommate and need a decent cooler, but dont want to spend $50. are there any good sales right now or just any cooler that performs enough for a decent OC at low cost? thanks. decent is like 3.2-3.4 on a Q6600 G0.

I have recently purchased and fitted a Coolermaster Hyper 212 + and was pleasantly suprised by the performance although running at stock, petty good for the cost and quiet.

Good luck with you decision.

I do not think anything can touch the Scythe Mugen 2 at its price range. It is big though.

I have recently purchased and fitted a Coolermaster Hyper 212 + and was pleasantly suprised by the performance although running at stock, petty good for the cost and quiet.

Good luck with you decision.

I second this recommendation.

Seeing that is the same price as Mugen 2, it cannot be the best bang for the buck when the Mugen 2 beats it easily...logic.
Regards

I really want to buy the Mugen 2, but NewEgg is sold out.

The ETA is Jan 11 also....

Xigmatek S1283 is the only thing I have personal experience with. It is a solid cooler with good mounting and everything. I think I paid $30-35 for it back in April for use with my PhII 720 BE. I wouldn't be afraid to drop a 125W CPU on it, but would not expect extreme OC potential along the lines of TRUE.

im hoping to get 1 or 2 of these. theres a frys kinda near me but i dont know when ill be able to get to it. :/

To date, (not so cheap) my Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Black Anniversary Edition performed the best. That's even in comparison to my Swiftech Apogee GTZ/mcp655-b/dual 120mm Rad setup.

BUT I ordered a Cooler Master V8 HSF from Newegg for $44.98 shipped - and every review I've seen on it says it's a good bang for the buck (and that is way before it was priced @ $45 as well!

Sorry, also wanted to note

That Cooler Master Hyper N520 is a darn good performer - and it's quiet too. I had it on my old E8500 E0 and I idled at 33c and peaked around 41c using an Antec Solo Mid-ATX Tower. Can't remember how loud it was - but I know it was quieter than my Antec 1200 fans on medium settings =P

+1 for the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. It can be found for $35 at some places.

Xigmatek S1283 is the only thing I have personal experience with. It is a solid cooler with good mounting and everything. I think I paid $30-35 for it back in April for use with my PhII 720 BE. I wouldn't be afraid to drop a 125W CPU on it, but would not expect extreme OC potential along the lines of TRUE.

Before I got my H50, I had a Xigmatek Dark Knight that cooled my i7 920 easily at 3.8 Ghz. It was also very quiet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this heatsink again if I had to.

If you keep an eye out for the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 you might find a MIR, I bought mine from Newegg a little over a month ago for like $26 after MIR. I just received my MIR a couple of days ago as well.

Right now on my setup. I added a CoolerMaster 120mm 1200rpm fan as a pull fan (came in a 2 pack from the egg for like $12.50 + free shipping). Still using the stock fan for push. At stock I have idle speed of 29c~31, load of 43c~45c. At 3.4Ghz loading around 50c, not bad at all!

Back