Whats a good app for locating and tracking lost phones?

but an app thats not so bloated like all those anti-virus apps. I dont think viruses are a major concern but theft is.

Cerberus over the previous two. If you have any questions/issues with it, the dev is extremely responsive. He has always responded within a few hours.

WP7 has native "Find my phone" option.

Unsure which platform you're on.

Cerberus over the previous two. If you have any questions/issues with it, the dev is extremely responsive. He has always responded within a few hours.

Oh good one. Forgot about that one. I have that and Seekdroid but neither is installed right now. ;)

WP7 has native "Find my phone" option.

Unsure which platform you're on.

It works great, I've used it dozens of times when my daughter stashes my Lumia in one of her hiding spots.

I'm amazed Google hasn't added this to Android, since its trivial to do so, they already track the phone location and have Latitude as well. Both iOS and WP7 offer this, why can't Android?

I'm amazed Google hasn't added this to Android, since its trivial to do so, they already track the phone location and have Latitude as well. Both iOS and WP7 offer this, why can't Android?
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw this in 5.0

Lookout seems to work great for me. The latest version even sends out a last known location when your battery dies.

It may be a bit more than you are wanting though, as it has AV and backups built-in.

I like Avast. And Avast has root capabilities that makes it more powerful than anything else in market.

For iOS use "Find my iPhone"

Use it all the time (mostly to track the wife). It can also do remote wiping.

Last edited:

Cerberus is about useless. It rarely ever connects to the phone via the online dashboard. And their "FIX" for this is to get your phone, log into Google Talk, then go to the Cerberus app and hit a certain button. Not to mention that even if I can get it to connect, hardly any of the commands work. I googled it, and a lot of people have the same issues.

Umm, if I lose my phone, what the hell use is this program going to be? Junk.

Cerberus is about useless. It rarely ever connects to the phone via the online dashboard. And their "FIX" for this is to get your phone, log into Google Talk, then go to the Cerberus app and hit a certain button. Not to mention that even if I can get it to connect, hardly any of the commands work. I googled it, and a lot of people have the same issues.

Umm, if I lose my phone, what the hell use is this program going to be? Junk.

I'm sorry, but I haven't had any of those issues on my (rooted/ROM'd) Galaxy Nexus or my wifes (totally stock/unrooted) HTC Rezound and I've used the web dashboard as well as the phone client several times. Commands have always executed within a minute (usually within 10-15 secs).

The only issue I had when I first tried it out was that the "lock w/ code" command wasn't working on my wifes Rezound, but after e-mailing the dev, I got a response back within an hour telling me to check the "lock after screen off" setting on her phone. It was set to like 45 secs, so it wasn't locking the phone immediately as I was trying to test it out. Also, I had an initial issue with my Gnex not executing commands when I first tried it too, but after checking the FAQ, it seems that third part SMS/MMS apps can interfere with it and I use Handscent SMS, so it told me to uninstall/reinstall it. I did and had no more issues. So that may have been your issue.

If you're having issues with it though, I recommend contacting the dev and I'm sure he/she will figure it out for you or at least refund you if they can't.

If the app was really junk, then I don't think it would have over 500k downloads and a 4.7/5 average score in the play store. I would say the issue is more with your phone and/or the software/apps on it that may be conflicting with it.

Back