Whats a good Air Plane game on the PC

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
I liked ace combat series for the ps2 is there ne good pc air plane games out there besides all those flight simulators????

Lock on Modern Air Combat aka LOMAC is good, and also check out Microsoft's Flight Sim and add on packs

LOMAC
IL-2
Pacific fighters
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3
Falcon 4
and the list will continue.

I've always been meaning to get my hands on Crimson Skies for PC. It was very enjoyable on the XBOX, so I imagine it should well be so on the rig. :)

Really, there aren't any. Microsoft's flight sim pretty much sucks, hopefully 10 will be a lot better. I tried LOMAC and it is a joke. IL2 and Pacific Fighters don't interest me because they are about older planes... Flight sims get the least attention of all game genres, and it shows.

Falcon 4.0 : Allied Force, Wings Over Europe

I just asked the same question the other day. Picked up Falcon 4.0: Allied Force, good game but major learning curve. I have about 10hrs into it and still unsure of how to arm the jet to fire a sticking sidewinder.

F4 is quite a curve.

try doing a ramp start some time :)

'winders are one of the easy weapons to shoot :) Wait until you get to Mavericks or LGB's.

There are no good current sims lite out there that I can think of. Crison Skies is fun though, maybe some of the old Novalogic titles.

inZane said:
LOMAC
IL-2
Pacific fighters
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3
Falcon 4
and the list will continue.
What he said. But are you sure you want a "flight sim?" If you enjoyed Ace Combat on the PS2, I think you might be looking for an arcade flier. The ones inZane mentioned are all sims, which adds more realism but also a steeper learning curve. Of them, IL-S is probably the best combat flight sim, but again it's WW2 era aircraft. Falcon 4.0 is also a great sim, but it's a true sim in every sense of the word - be prepared for a steep (clifflike?) learning curve. Well worth it once you invest the time, though...

Learning curve is an understatement for LOMAC and Falcon 4. I actually got Falcon 4 when it was first released in the binder. And I read the whole thing. took about 4 days to understand the game.

Even after all that reading, it still took over 3 months to get the hang of everything. I still have troubles on certain parts.

If you are going to sim, then get FS2004 and fly some jumbo jets first. Get used to those and landing them. Then download some military jet models. Fly around and learn to land. After that, load up Falcon or LOMAC and you will do fine. You just then have to learn combat systems, military manouvers and radar usage. Loads of fun.

As for WW2 sims such as IL-S or Pacific Fighters. Those have to be the best types of sims as you actually have to see the guy to kill 'em. No honor is shooting a Maverick or Sidewinder from 2 miles or more away and logging a kill. Now comming up on someones six and filling them full of lead, that is exhilerating.

But good luck on your Sim search. You will prob get a few and find one you will like. good news is that most of them only cost 20 bucks.

greyt_Autumn said:
There are no good current sims lite out there that I can think of. Crison Skies is fun though, maybe some of the old Novalogic titles.

I remember back in the day I wasted so many hours playing F-16 MRF (NovaLogic)! There was also MiG-29 and F-22 Lightning 3. It takes almost no time to learn how to play, and its fun to boot, even though it's not "ultra-realistic".

CodeX said:
Really, there aren't any. Microsoft's flight sim pretty much sucks, hopefully 10 will be a lot better. I tried LOMAC and it is a joke. IL2 and Pacific Fighters don't interest me because they are about older planes... Flight sims get the least attention of all game genres, and it shows.

I enjoy playing LOMAC. Odd that you say it is a joke, but do not provide any kind of argument for that point of view. It would be enough to say that you didn't like the game, but you are implying that there is something fundamentally or obviously wrong with the game, which is untrue.

Out of morbid curiosity, what is it that you don't like about it?

The graphics are terrible and even so it ran like crap on a system that can play Oblivion all out. I only played it for 30 minutes or so so take it with a grain of salt...

CodeX said:
The graphics are terrible and even so it ran like crap on a system that can play Oblivion all out. I only played it for 30 minutes or so so take it with a grain of salt...
ScreenShot_678.jpg

I fail to see how this is "terrible". Better than just about any other sim out there anyway. ;) You also have to realise that this game has been out for 2+ years... before even Farcry.

Only a brave man runs heat blur im LOMAC.

It's not about looking pretty. It's about gameply. There is no "sim' with truly state of the art graphics and gameply in one box. the CPU overhead is so high on these titles that there is too much to process (still) on current hardware.

I hope that the capabilities of DX10 prove true in the sim arena. mAybe it will up the grpahics to the levels of the back end engine.

Well, in that screenshot you are only showing the plane, which looks pretty good (for a simple 3D model and bland textures). Why don't you show some of the terrain or water textures, the buildings on the ground or the billboarded trees ;)

CodeX said:
Well, in that screenshot you are only showing the plane, which looks pretty good (for a simple 3D model and bland textures). Why don't you show some of the terrain or water textures, the buildings on the ground or the billboarded trees ;)

Its a flight sim... have amazing graphics and realistic flight is not really possible. Lomac is easily the best of the sims we have right now graphics wise.

I agree that there aren't too many realistic and detailed flight sims for the PC. Microsoft has always pwned this realm with their Flight Simulator series, and if not out of them being actually good products, they are the more popular.

Me, personally, I like helicopter simulators. I bought Comanche 4 when it was out and was kinda disappointed that it felt more like an arcade/console shooter game than a flight simulation. Way too easy in terms of flight controls, to the point of it feeling more like an FPS.

Wish I could make a list of recent enjoyable flight sims for the sake of this thread, but none come to mind, unfortunately.....

The older flight sims that are worth checking out have already been posted.

I wish there was a good helicopter sim too....I miss the old days of Jane's Longbow and stuff like that....Comanche 2 and 3

What's a good joystick for LOMAC? I'm thinking about trying one of these Flight Sim games for the hell of it.

Sky15 said:
To be honest every time I fly aborad (mostly Italy) I can't get my self to play games, i'm just more excited to see my family and do other things. Games are the last thing on my mind, when you have all fall, winter and spring for it.

LMAO! I don't know if that was a joke or not, but still funny. :D

You know I just realised that he asked what is a " Good PC for the computer, and not "What would be a good game for the plane.

Still waiting for the next "Jane's like" flight sim (helicopter or fighters) or Comanche 3 / Gold from Novalogic. Were these titles perfect? No, but I still miss them. :(

i really liked jane's USAF, too bad it doesnt support windows xp. i never could get it to work. and i dont feel like using dual boot with windows 98 for just that game

Almost forgot about USAF. Have you tried running the program in compatibility mode? It will run for me under XP, but the mouse no longer shows up in the menu so that limits you to the Fly Now missions. :(

f-22 lightning 3 is and was awesome, very easy to aim/etc..... good missions..... NUKES!.... great game (and runs well on any system max settings)

My personal favorite is IL-2 Strumovik . check it out if you havent played it already its fun.

the_recluse said:
Found LOMAC, IL-2, and Pacific Fighters bundled at Wal Mart for 20 buck.
Score! That's a pretty solid deal. The IL-2 standalone is kinda hard to find in the US. I did some searching last night and it seems to be primarily available in Australia and Europe. I stumbled across an IL-2 Gold Pack, but I could never find out if it's the base game and the 2 highlighted expansions or just the expansions.

Aelfgeft said:
I've always been meaning to get my hands on Crimson Skies for PC. It was very enjoyable on the XBOX, so I imagine it should well be so on the rig. :)

It was a blast in Win98, never could get it to work in XP :(

Let me know if you get it to work........

Brent

Black Shark *might* be Starforce infested (I'm not sure, but Flaming Cliffs was). Eagle Dynamics is Russian :(

greyt_Autumn said:
Black Shark *might* be Starforce infested (I'm not sure, but Flaming Cliffs was). Eagle Dynamics is Russian :(

This is quite possible, however, no definitive answer has been given by Eagle Dynamics in this regard, we shall have to wait and see.....

Nate

Has anyone played any of the older Janes games? they always looked cool, but I never tried any of them. Would it be worth say $10 cause thats probably what I could find one for

I first started playing Jane's combat sims starting with the ATF Gold, USN '97 (I think that's the name) and of course Fighters Anthology and Longbow / Longbow 2.

To me they were exceptional games, however, you can definately see the difference from then to now (2D and 3D graphics). I also put together a Windows 98 system with older hardware to just run games such as that. :)

Back