What's a copy of System Drive called?

Brock10

n00b
I just built my first PC, installed the OS, all the software I want, and updated all my drivers. Now I want to make an exact copy of the entire install of my system drive onto an external hdd. When I go to reinstall Windows months from now due to Windows rot, I want to save time by just coping the external hdd onto my reformatted system drive. I'll Google how-to posts to learn how to do this, but I don't even know what it's called. Can someone just tell me the term and send me in the right direction for my research?

Assuming Windows 7
The help file in Windows Backup said:
System image backup
Windows Backup provides you with the ability to create a system image, which is an exact image of a drive. A system image includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it is a complete restoration; you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced. Although this type of backup includes your personal files, we recommend that you back up your files regularly using Windows Backup so that you can restore individual files and folders as needed. When you set up scheduled file backup, you can choose whether you want to include a system image. This system image only includes the drives required for Windows to run. You can manually create a system image if you want to include additional data drives

Note: I haven't used it, but find it impressive MS decided to include this feature. I don't think this was an option in XP.

Yeah, just use the built-in WIn 7 Backup and Restore function to create a system image. Works just fine.

Back