Whatever happened to Alpha?

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Old timers like me remember when Alpha was the top of the line, undisputed king of heatsinks for aircooling (dual fan slot-1 cooler anyone? :cool: ) but you never hear anything about them anymore. I wonder how the champ could fall so far? I guess they're still around because I found this http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/index.html

I was thinking that earlier last month when I moved my old K6-III 400 aside in the basement. I can remember the excitement when my alpha came in the mail.

volvo9 said:
I was thinking that earlier last month when I moved my old K6-III 400 aside in the basement. I can remember the excitement when my alpha came in the mail.
Ahh...yes, the excitement of getting an Alpha. I remember they were kind of like Thermalright is today...plain packaging that was hiding something you knew would be high quality and perform like no other. :cool:

Dude!!! I remember my Alpha too. That thing kicked ass. I remember getting some crazy overclocks with mine on my Athlon XP. I think they are still around, but only make industrial heatsinks now.

I remember the Alpha plus a ys Tech or Delta fan was the bomb diggity before watercooling became mainstream. We didn't care as much about noise back then. :p

Yes, Alpha certainly made some awesome heatsinks in the past. I too wonder where they have gone. It is always good to have some competition up there at the top. It promotes innovation!

I just recently converted my last Alpha in the house (a PAL-6045 I think) to a completely fanless cooler for the Ti4200 that resides in my wifes computer :)

i've still got a couple of them in use on an old dually p3.

Work like a champ. Some of the best performing for the time.

Ohh man, Alpha was awesome....i still have my first and second insane overclockers. 1 was a Celeron 300A @ 600mhz and this:

Its a Athlon 500 which ran at 850mhz with the gold finger device (afterburner) The HS is a Alpha with 2 60mmx25mm delta SCREAMERS...i mean like high 60db screamers =) Ohh, those were the days =)

Yeesh. I'm showing my young age here I guess, but having this 30db box beside me is too loud! How could you all survive with 50db+ fans on your HSF unit alone!

Arcygenical said:
Yeesh. I'm showing my young age here I guess, but having this 30db box beside me is too loud! How could you all survive with 50db+ fans on your HSF unit alone!

Back then it was the price you paid for overclocking..

Arcygenical said:
Back in the day screaming loud fans told the world you were hardkore into performance and overclocking....glad those days are over. :D

PAL 6035 yeah :cool: That was my first OCer's HSF. It was also the last non-Thermalright HSF I bought too. I guess they just never got into the whole lots of copper and thin fins evolution

looks like you can get an alpha 100mm x 100mm x 50mm heatsinks, anodized with copper baseplate for $20. There's all kinds.

Back