what would you go with

sabregen

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
19,501
here's the scenario:

I've got an Athlon64 3200 that will do either of the following. what i need is input on which would be better overall. It is a compromise situation:

Config #1:
Athlon 64 3200 running 2655 (9x295)
1GB Kingston PC3200 ValueRAM 3-3-3-8@1T
MSI Neo 2 Platinum
Mem divider @ 133
HT @ 3x
CPU multiplier @ 9X
FSB @ 295

-or-

Config #2
Athlon64 3200 running 2350 (10x235)
2GB Kingston PC3200 ValueRAM 3-3-3-8 @2T
MSI Neo 2 Platinum
Mem divider @ 166
HT @ 4x
CPU multiplier @ 10x
FSB @ 235

This rig is for gaming, and thusly, need to be as fast as I can get it, given what I have. If someone says get a S939 Opty, I'm gonna bitch smack em. I like the intensive games, FPS, Flight Sims, and Racing. The other stuff is up to par, more or less (check the sig). What would YOU DO?
 
what speed is the ram actually running at with each dividers, check in cpu-z, if its 200 or above just stay with the higher clock speed
 
at 2655 (9x195) mem divider @ 133 - ram speed is 189.64. at 2350 (10x235) mem divider @ 166 - ram is at 195.83
 
sabregen said:
at 2655 (9x195) mem divider @ 133 - ram speed is 189.64. at 2350 (10x235) mem divider @ 166 - ram is at 195.83

id go for the higher clock speed, memory isnt as big a deal in fsb on A64
 
I would actually go with the second config here. 2gb of RAM will help you in gaming much more than the extra ~300mhz on your cpu. Especially w/ games like BF2 and FEAR.
 
Now that I have 2GB of ram it made all the difference in gaming. BF 2 runs so much better now its like I got a whole new rig or something seriously.
 
As long as you can bump up those settings in those games 2GB is more beneficial in this situation. If you can bump up the rez you won't have to be so dependent on the cpu anyway.
 
after a bunch of benching in real world games, not fecking 3dmark05...it seems that i notice less lag and load times with 2GB config, which is to be expected. suppose I'll just keep in mind that if i ever decide to pony up for soem good ram, that i'll get 2x1GB. thanks guys. Stay [H]ard.
 
Back
Top