• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What would you do?

carguy83

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
352
I found a deal on a QX6700:D extreme chip for $200 locally and I was thinking of buying it but these things are holding me back.

B3 stepping overclocking issue
The friend I am getting it from has lapped the processor so NO warranty
He also has a E8400 for $20 more


This is for my friends computer as I already have a Q6600 in my machine.
 
I would get it, cuz thats a $1,000 chip. The multi is unlocked so I wouldn't worry about the stepping.

Get a decent board, i would recommend a 780i (sorry i just love the nforce chipsets) and decent cooling and see how high she can go.
 
If you friend is planning OC then I'd rather get new q6600 from good stepping for not that much more.
 
Does the 7800 o/c well, konceptz. I know ppl w/650i and it is horrible.
q6700 is tempting. it's also just $270ish now w/ the price cut.

Hmm, all in all you have q6600 so not really worth getting...unless you want to fold w/ 8 cores? :)
 
my board is stable at 1900mhz (475) FSB, haven't tried to push it higher, but I'm sure it will go. I've seen some 780i's do 500FSB, so I guess its just like everything else, your mileage may vary.

I've just become very familiar with the 680/780i here at work and I have a 780i @ home.
 
my board is stable at 1900mhz (475) FSB, haven't tried to push it higher, but I'm sure it will go. I've seen some 780i's do 500FSB, so I guess its just like everything else, your mileage may vary.

I've just become very familiar with the 680/780i here at work and I have a 780i @ home.

With a dual or a quad? It seems that the nVidia chipsets struggle a lot more hitting high FSB with quads than they do with duals.
 
I found a deal on a QX6700:D extreme chip for $200 locally and I was thinking of buying it but these things are holding me back.

I'd buy it and sell on eBay. Lapping might ruin that though. :(
 
I guess I will go ahead a buy it from him. I mean I can always sell it on the forums$250-$300 and get something else maybe a new E7300 45nm.
 
One more thing when are the E7300 1066/3mb chips going on sale. Intel posted that they are too be released in 1000 trays to online dealers like newegg on april 21,2008. If any one can find a online store with some please let me know. I also think they are going to be great bang for the buck chip they have a msrp of $135 now lets see if the online stores are going to be price gouging is the question. Thanks
 
One more thing when are the E7300 1066/3mb chips going on sale. Intel posted that they are too be released in 1000 trays to online dealers like newegg on april 21,2008. If any one can find a online store with some please let me know. I also think they are going to be great bang for the buck chip they have a msrp of $135 now lets see if the online stores are going to be price gouging is the question. Thanks

This is definitely the best chip to get, based on the reviews and on the overclocking potential.
It'll probably take up to a few months before prices settle. Look at how the e8400 started off at $200ish but then shot up because of high demand.
 
Back
Top