What would you do with your own cluster?

killerasp

Gawd
I just had a thought, if you had your beowulf cluster or windows cluster, what would you do with it? Although it would be the ultimate thing to have in your geek basement, but would it be practical?

I'd do POVray rendering using the distributed render front end someone created for it.

probably folding mostly, but i do do some computationally intense stuff (povray etc) once in a while...

why do you ask? :D

I use my cluster of complete shit machines to do dcc compiling for gentoo linux.... I can compile kernels at light speed...

cluster includes:
1800+ @ 2GHZ
1700+ @ 1650
p3 800
p4 1.6
p3 550
300A @600
various k6-2 rigs that suck arse

I think the folding and other DC projects suggestions are kind of misguided. You would gain nothing from using a cluster for those projects. You might as well skip any sort of clustering OS and major network backbone, and toss them on a hub.

A single unified cluster, Not a cluster of individual machines.

To answer the question, what would I do with a cluster? ... Brag :p

Night0wl said:
I think the folding and other DC projects suggestions are kind of misguided. You would gain nothing from using a cluster for those projects. You might as well skip any sort of clustering OS and major network backbone, and toss them on a hub.

A single unified cluster, Not a cluster of individual machines.

To answer the question, what would I do with a cluster? ... Brag :p

We know, but still :p

Having that many machines running it for a day, even in single-cpu non beowulf mode would give mucho points.

Stop waiting for Photoshop to render. When the base layer is 120mb, even a dual athlon with 1.5gb of registered ram tends to choke a bit. As you add more layers, well, you get the idea.

I figure by the time I finish my MBA, Dual 939s will have any kinks worked out, and I'll be able to afford one... :D

Start chaining THOSE together... Sure, I can have that rendered by yesterday...

J

Back