What would I benefit from more?

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
4,961
Currently I have a Athlon XP 2700+ and a 9800 Pro @ XT Speeds.

ANYWAYZ: I've noticed in a lot of games I play (mainly UT2K3, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Far Cry, and CS Source that my frame rate always takes a nose dive around every corner. My goal is to try and stabilize those frames per seconds. Would say a Athlon 64 3200+ 939 Venice and a MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM do the job for me? Or would I be better off getting a GeForce 6800 GT AGP now and then later upgrading to Athlon 64? Its one or the other, not both since I am on a budget. BTW: I have a 1280x1024 LCD and anything lower than that makes it look like crap.
 
For a stable framerate, go for the 6800GT.

Don't expect any world record FPS now, but you should get a nice boost and the low FPS limit should be higher.
 
cool thanks guys, just grabbed a evga geforce 6800 gt from anandtech for 259 shipped.
 
Mister E said:
why did you go Nvidia? why not get a x800xl or x850xt?
Probably because a $259 6800GT > anything in terms of bang for buck.
 
personally i think the 6800 is more bang for buck..

also he gets pixel shader 3.0.....

ati can only do 2.0.

:p
 
geekcomputing said:
personally i think the 6800 is more bang for buck..

also he gets pixel shader 3.0.....

ati can only do 2.0.

:p

That really doesn't matter at all. Since few to no games support it. Or even show any real bennefit to it anyway.

Even so, for $259.00, I'd say thats a damn good buy. You'd be hard pressed to get more for the money.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
That really doesn't matter at all. Since few to no games support it. Or even show any real bennefit to it anyway.

Even so, for $259.00, I'd say thats a damn good buy. You'd be hard pressed to get more for the money.


yeah tell me about it. i found it on anandtech forums. the thread was three pages long and about a week old. kind of weird but hey i got a awesome card at a cheap price so i aint complaining.
 
Back
Top