What would [Hard] do??

nemesis27

Limp Gawd
Hey fellas ive narrowed it down to these 2, apples to oranges but...
NEC 90GX2 19"
Chimei 221D 22"

I already saw the 90GX2 and im impressed BUT would I be sacrificing color depth/accuracy if I went for the bigger 221D? I really want a 22" but am not willing to give up "A LOT" of quality for quantity, lemme know.

Chimei 221D 22". Bigger = better in my book. :) 19" is pretty small nowadays.

Yeah, with the costs of LCD panels now go for a 20+ already. Plus, people who have the Chimei 22" are happy with it.

Yeah, with the costs of LCD panels now go for a 20+ already. Plus, people who have the Chimei 22" are happy with it.
Very good point, ill just get the 22 and if I dont like it ill just return and go for the NEC, thats the only way to tell.

[H]ard knows that bigger is not always better...and this particular [H]ardness Supreme would like to stay away from Chimei monitors and thinks NEC makes some of the best.;) You call though...personally I wouldn't get anything less than a 20" WS.

[H]ard knows that bigger is not always better...and this particular [H]ardness Supreme would like to stay away from Chimei monitors and thinks NEC makes some of the best.;) You call though...personally I wouldn't get anything less than a 20" WS.
You know as I thought more about my answer, I got to thinking about what your saying...originally thats why I made this thread. You seem dislike the Chimei, elaborate a little and tell me why? Ill take a look at the NEC 20WMGX2 as well. Alot more than what money I would like to spend exp the lack of size but...

Honestly Joe, im willing to sacrifice a lil quality for quantity IF I wouldnt notice the difference unles they were side by side. If it can match my CRT (basic Viewsonic A90F+) im fine. Let me know why you dislike the CHI and what you would recommend for 20+ to 22 (prefer)

Chimei, is the manufacturer (sp?) of 22" panels. They aren't a no name brand. That's why people like them, because they are indeed good screens. I was in the same pickle thinking about what the hell I want in a monitor. I saw that 90gx2 in best buy i think and it looks really good, but the 22" widescreen will be much more immersive. I've played on my friend's Viewsonic 22" and it's really really fun to use :p.

For the record, I decided to keep my L90D+ to save money for other parts of my comp and didn't get a new one.

Let's not forget we finally have 22' that don't use either Chei or AU Optics panels - the LG L226WT and Samsung 226

i saw the NEC 90GX2 in a store and was impressed since it looked just as nice as the 20WMGX2.

what is the price difference anyway?

and btw, i think everyone feels like "this monitor seems like the best choice but i dont know if i want to spend that much more money" about the 20WMGX2 at first, i definetly dont, but it's definetly the most secure widescreen monitor buy out there, handily topping reviews and not having any panel loterry like its fellow IPS competition (which has me leaning more toward that).

Let's not forget we finally have 22' that don't use either Chei or AU Optics panels - the LG L226WT and Samsung 226
That would be the 226bw? Ill check 'em.

No sh** Spin, that is some $$ for the NEC 20 wide, ill have to check the other 2 and make a choice.

yeah well wat're ya gonna do (rhetorical)......

i might buy it though. while some things you can cut corners on, but the monitor is simply something i see every time, it's performance is tantamount, it's just one of those things that cant simply "work" it must work well.

You know as I thought more about my answer, I got to thinking about what your saying...originally thats why I made this thread. You seem dislike the Chimei, elaborate a little and tell me why? Ill take a look at the NEC 20WMGX2 as well. Alot more than what money I would like to spend exp the lack of size but...

Honestly Joe, im willing to sacrifice a lil quality for quantity IF I wouldnt notice the difference unles they were side by side. If it can match my CRT (basic Viewsonic A90F+) im fine. Let me know why you dislike the CHI and what you would recommend for 20+ to 22 (prefer)
I don't really have any personal experience with Chimei but I'm going by the fact that LG/Philips and Samsung manufactured lcd panels are generally regarded as higher quality. Chimei monitors may be fine considering the low cost but NEC displays have always impressed me by the extra engineering time they seem to put in. When I was shopping for a plasma tv a while back the NEC models peaked the interest of my inner geek simply because of the sheer amount of user adjustability it offered without having to delve into cryptic service menus. Sadly, they couldn't be found in local retail stores and I couldn't buy something without seeing it in person. (ended up with a Panasonic instead) Even though the specs and real world performance of the NEC 20WMGX2 is second to none (in the sub $1k category)...imo the price is still too high for a 20". The best bang for the buck imo is the Dell 2007FPW but then you run into "lottery" issues. I think the lottery is worth playing though because recent reports are that Dell is shipping mostly S-IPS...and if you win you'll get the best available for under $400.

I don't really have any personal experience with Chimei but I'm going by the fact that LG/Philips and Samsung manufactured lcd panels are generally regarded as higher quality. The best bang for the buck imo is the Dell 2007FPW but then you run into "lottery" issues. I think the lottery is worth playing though because recent reports are that Dell is shipping mostly S-IPS...and if you win you'll get the best available for under $400.
Too bad NEc doesnt make a 22, your right about their quality, to me, they are the best right now. Ive seen and heard so much bad about the Samy 22 that I am gonna shun away from that (backlight) HOWEVER, Ill look at the LG and take a second look at the Dell...I hate gambling especially that I may have to send it back and wait weeks for a return. Maybe I can get a local store to get it that way I dont have to ship. Thanks again for your reply and if ya got anything else...lemme know!

yeah but with dell it's not just about the panel lottery, but other issues that are getting on my nerves, like this flickering on 1/3 of the screen problem they seem to have now, it's almost like they are CURSED and there will always be something wrong.

20" monitors have basically the smallest dot pitch you can get. 22" on the other hand have a fairly large dot pitch. that is one thing to keep in mind. in this respect, "bigger" is not necessarily better. for the record, the whole flicker thing with the 2007 seems blown out of proportion. i have never personally seen one of those monitors flicker in any web surfing, office use, gaming, etc etc... maybe i am the minority, not the norm, but that is my two cents. i have gotten my workstation one to flicker on a test screen, but i have never seen either this one or my one at home flicker on any "real" usage.

20" monitors have basically the smallest dot pitch you can get. 22" on the other hand have a fairly large dot pitch. that is one thing to keep in mind. in this respect, "bigger" is not necessarily better. for the record, the whole flicker thing with the 2007 seems blown out of proportion. i have never personally seen one of those monitors flicker in any web surfing, office use, gaming, etc etc... maybe i am the minority, not the norm, but that is my two cents. i have gotten my workstation one to flicker on a test screen, but i have never seen either this one or my one at home flicker on any "real" usage.
A much bigger concern with the 22" panels (at least imo) is the fact that they are all TN technology panels whereas many 20" models are P-MVA or S-IPS which are both known to be superior in everything but response time....I believe response time is overrated though.

well even though people think the behardware guy is biased and his older article lauded IPS as inferior panels, in a more recent article he says that with the response to increease they are on par with TN panels, even if the response time does not match theirs.

A much bigger concern with the 22" panels (at least imo) is the fact that they are all TN technology panels whereas many 20" models are P-MVA or S-IPS which are both known to be superior in everything but response time....I believe response time is overrated though.

Yeah, I switched away from a TN panel to the S-IPS Dell. I calibrate with a colorimeter, so my perception of color is not based on the factory settings... and I can say that the S-IPS is definitely more pleasing. I had them both set up on my desk before I took the 22" TN back to costco, and I really like the S-IPS better. In addition, viewing angles like are night and day. With the S-IPS, I don't get contrast changes everytime I bob my head an inch. SO much nicer.

As far as response times, I may not be as sensitive as some... I couldn't tell the difference with my naked eye. Independent testing has shown that the Dell S-IPS is actually faster than a 5ms TN panel though. Go figure. Must have to do with the fact that TN panel response times vary so much across the color spectrum, whereas MVA and S-IPS panels tend to stay more constant.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-16/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html

Yeah, I switched away from a TN panel to the S-IPS Dell. I calibrate with a colorimeter, so my perception of color is not based on the factory settings... and I can say that the S-IPS is definitely more pleasing. I had them both set up on my desk before I took the 22" TN back to costco, and I really like the S-IPS better. In addition, viewing angles like are night and day. With the S-IPS, I don't get contrast changes everytime I bob my head an inch. SO much nicer.

As far as response times, I may not be as sensitive as some... I couldn't tell the difference with my naked eye. Independent testing has shown that the Dell S-IPS is actually faster than a 5ms TN panel though. Go figure. Must have to do with the fact that TN panel response times vary so much across the color spectrum, whereas MVA and S-IPS panels tend to stay more constant.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-16/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html
I also use a Spyder2 Colorimeter on my 2007FPW once a month and it does make a difference. I use mine for pc gaming as well as Xbox 360 and the response time is a non-issue. Either it is faster than the listed 16ms (proven in testing as you mentioned) or certain people like myself just don't notice as much.

Back