What would happen to a tualatin running at 1.60/1.65 volts?

Craig56

Limp Gawd
what would happen if I had a tualatin running with a voltage of 1.60/1.65 volts? would it burn if it up? and if i had great cooling would it be ok to run it at that voltage?

Vmax for that CPU is 1.75v so 1.60/1.65v is fine. 1.45v standard -> 1.65v isn't too bad as far as overvolting goes.

I kind of have to chuckle at needing a "good" heatsink on those old Tualatins. At stock voltage they are 21-22W processors at full load. Overvolting it at 1.65v wouldn't likely even dissipate over 27W at full load.

well i have this heatsink

cgk760092-02.jpg

taisol.jpg

WITH 2 of these side by side, and my p3 800mhz doesnt get hotter than 32 degrees celsius and 39 degrees celcius under load (unreal tournament 2004)

image.php

(two 60mm fans that hang halfway off of the heatsink on both sides)

I am just trying to see if I can put a tualatin in my 440bx mobo with a slocket.

I am just trying to see if I can put a tualatin in my 440bx mobo with a slocket.

I ran a tualatin in a 440BX just fine, it detected the voltage correctly. I use a modified Abit slotket. I think I still have that thing laying around.

I kind of have to chuckle at needing a "good" heatsink on those old Tualatins. At stock voltage they are 21-22W processors at full load. Overvolting it at 1.65v wouldn't likely even dissipate over 27W at full load.

Wow...I had no idea it was that low...where'd they go wrong?

Wow...I had no idea it was that low...where'd they go wrong?

yeah tualatin was a great chip. Despite being called a pentium 3, it really is significantly different from Coppermine (specifically with regards to the cache) and as such it really is more like the middle ground between the pentium 3 and pentium m. It's not quite like coppermine, but not quite like Banias.

I kind of consider the PIII-m's (mobile tualatin with 512k L2) to be the first pentium m's, not banias. Mobile Tualatins even used the newer 478-pin socket like pentium m does.

so with a normal slocket, your saying i could run a tualatin? any tualatin right?

Not a normal slocket, no. Upgradeware makes a Slocket-Tualatin adapter, or else you need a slocket plus a Lin Lin (370-Tualatin adapter).

I have one of those tualatin's and a copper heatsink around here, my tualatin board took a dump on me, and I never did get another one:mad:

Not a normal slocket, no. Upgradeware makes a Slocket-Tualatin adapter, or else you need a slocket plus a Lin Lin (370-Tualatin adapter).
The modifications to run a Tualatin CPU even without an adapter are pretty easy.

tualatinmodxy4.jpg

Isolate the 3 pins with the green dots (I used masking tape) and move reset (longer wire traced in red). The shorter wire in the upper right is to correct a small voltage difference (0.05v IIRC), and it's completely optional.

On the motherboard you just need to widen the holes where the tape covered pins fit into. I twisted an X-Acto knife in the 3 holes to widen each.

The modifications to run a Tualatin CPU even without an adapter are pretty easy.

tualatinmodxy4.jpg

Isolate the 3 pins with the green dots (I used masking tape) and move reset (longer wire traced in red). The shorter wire in the upper right is to correct a small voltage difference (0.05v IIRC), and it's completely optional.

On the motherboard you just need to widen the holes where the tape covered pins fit into. I twisted an X-Acto knife in the 3 holes to widen each.

And it will run at the correct speeds? I have a s370 board laying around here....

Yeah. The reason the adapters had FSB jumpers was either for boards with no/limited overclocking options or just as a convenience. The CPU will be recognized at the default FSB if the motherboard supports it.

Interesting, I might have to see if I can find that processor now:cool:

yeah tualatin was a great chip. Despite being called a pentium 3, it really is significantly different from Coppermine (specifically with regards to the cache) and as such it really is more like the middle ground between the pentium 3 and pentium m. It's not quite like coppermine, but not quite like Banias.

I kind of consider the PIII-m's (mobile tualatin with 512k L2) to be the first pentium m's, not banias. Mobile Tualatins even used the newer 478-pin socket like pentium m does.

I remember reading an article back in the day, when the Tualatin was initally designed, they designed it with 1M L2. It performed SO well, that it destroyed thier new P4 line. The engineers were told to cut the L2 down to 512 to cripple its performance to lower than the Netburst processors. If Intel had only known....

Interesting, I might have to see if I can find that processor now:cool:
If it doesn't take, let me know. I've been trying to track down a Tualatin, but I keep getting outbid on eBay. I bought an uncapped 1.4GHz from the FS/FT section, but it was DOA.

If it doesn't take, let me know. I've been trying to track down a Tualatin, but I keep getting outbid on eBay. I bought an uncapped 1.4GHz from the FS/FT section, but it was DOA.

What would you gimme for it? I have an idea of where its at, and, getting it up and running would be more of a rainy day project, I need to finish my computer room in the basement before I ever get to playing with that proc.

What would you gimme for it? I have an idea of where its at, and, getting it up and running would be more of a rainy day project, I need to finish my computer room in the basement before I ever get to playing with that proc.
Out of respect to the OP, I'll switch this over to PM in a moment. :)

Out of respect to the OP, I'll switch this over to PM in a moment. :)

if that falls through, i got a 1.13ghz tualatin 512k and a asus tuscl-2, i had it running the other day. LMK.

Its not the system in the sig btw, the sig is a coppermine 1ghz meant for glide games and such for a more authentic experience.

if that falls through, i got a 1.13ghz tualatin 512k and a asus tuscl-2, i had it running the other day. LMK.

Its not the system in the sig btw, the sig is a coppermine 1ghz meant for glide games and such for a more authentic experience.
Check PM in a minute. :)

Back