What would get you to switch to linux from windows?

That's not a failure of AD but of a lack of disaster recovery planning. Maybe overzealous deployment as well.

Realistically speaking, 90% of the small businesses I've dealt with are just too small to justify a single Windows Server with no redundancy plan in place. They struggle with the cost of one dust filled nightmare of a server let alone another for redundancy...

Ok but i really don't see how any of that is due to a technical failing of AD. In my experience cost and redundancy haven't been an issue. I'm not saying you have to use AD. I'm just unaware of any product that challenges it realistically.

Ok but i really don't see how any of that is due to a technical failing of AD. In my experience cost and redundancy haven't been an issue. I'm not saying you have to use AD. I'm just unaware of any product that challenges it realistically.

To run AD you need to create a DC, a domain controller for 10 machines is overkill. Furthermore, if you plan on running DC you should always run two servers, one for redundancy. No small business I've ever seen does this.

I shudder when I see the dust filled, out of support machines running as DC's in small environments.

So it looks like you've had some bad experiences. I don't share those. I like AD and the features it and Domain Controllers offer. If there was an open source equivalent that rivaled it I would look at that. I see what you're saying that it's overkill for micro environments. It is not overkill for 25+ seats though. So unless you know of a legitimate alternative to the AD/DC combo it's still a reason i'm keeping windows in my environments.

So it looks like you've had some bad experiences. I don't share those. I like AD and the features it and Domain Controllers offer. If there was an open source equivalent that rivaled it I would look at that. I see what you're saying that it's overkill for micro environments. It is not overkill for 25+ seats though. So unless you know of a legitimate alternative to the AD/DC combo it's still a reason i'm keeping windows in my environments.

You do realise that Linux has alternatives for active directory and Linux machines can join a domain controller?

It's not that I've had any form of bad experience with AD/DC, it's just poor planning running an out of support server on it's own as a single DC in environments where a domain controller is complete overkill.

You do realise that Linux has alternatives for active directory and Linux machines can join a domain controller?

It's not that I've had any form of bad experience with AD/DC, it's just poor planning running an out of support server on it's own as a single DC in environments where a domain controller is complete overkill.

8 Alternatives to Microsoft Active Directory | Top Best Alternatives

Has a bunch of good ones. Another one not listed would be Centrify www.centrify.com/products/centrify-server-suite.asp

There's good $$ to be made by creating open source AD/DC machines due to the complete lack of any form of licencing cost.

Again, that is not an inherent flaw of the software. No alternative will fix the issue of poor management and maintenance.

I understand that linux machines can join a windows domain. I know there are some alternatives to AD, however none of those alternatives can completely mirror all the features of AD, to my knowledge.

I'm not saying that I will never use linux because AD. I've already stated i won't use linux as a main machine because the productivity suite isn't up to snuff.
I bring up AD because even if there was a decent set of software that mimicked office i would still have windows in an environment/in my home lab because Active Directory is such a crucial part of small, medium, and large businesses

Again, that is not an inherent flaw of the software. No alternative will fix the issue of poor management and maintenance.

I never stated there was any issue with the software, I merely stated that like MS Excel, AD/DC is used in situations where it is completely unnessecary.

I understand that linux machines can join a windows domain. I know there are some alternatives to AD, however none of those alternatives can completely mirror all the features of AD, to my knowledge.

I'm not saying that I will never use linux because AD. I've already stated i won't use linux as a main machine because the productivity suite isn't up to snuff.
I bring up AD because even if there was a decent set of software that mimicked office i would still have windows in an environment/in my home lab because Active Directory is such a crucial part of small, medium, and large businesses

2 questions:

- When was the last time you actually tried libreoffice
- What exactly you're doing that you can't do using libreoffice?

Back