What would cause this....

Cold Dark Shadow

[H]F Junkie
Update 11.20.08
Update 2:
Stucka new corsair PSU in it to see if that was the issue and nothings changed

This is 2nd card i got from eVGA for an RMA, this one i got the 17th of this month. the last one (2nd pic) lasted a week maybe
Temps are all down 50C or below under load (fan turned up) and no OCing

Ok got the RMA card installed worked just fine for half the daythen this this...
the vid is all chuggy now as well ans will freeze upand then compe back lookin worse then the pic below and if it does hold the picture and not get all funky the FR will drop to single digits
Other then the vid card what can cause this? i need ideas cause theres no way i got another bad card.....
stillmessedupvid.JPG

Started doin that a few minutes ago and only while gaming, websurfing its just fine.

messedup.JPG

Taking after a PSU swap
stillmessedupvid2.JPG

lol just ran ATiTool artifacts checker and yeah the second i hit the start button it lit up yellow and cant even read the little task bar at the bottom of it
Guess it was a good thing my RMA showed up today lol

Still curious what causes that tho

this is the 2nd RMAed card i got from the original, im on my 3rd card
first one lasted 7 months
2nd one lasted like a week
and now i have this one, which i got on the 17th

That looks like something that might happen when your video card is overheating to me.

But that's not likely if it happens right away, rather than after some time of playing.

So it's probably a driver/configuration issue then.

If that's not it, then it might be defective hardware. ;\

Just guessing.

Well, time to try the card in another system? The mainboard could be acting up too... time for a game of elimination, methinks.

Temps are low (hover under 50C under load) w/ fan speed up around 75%

Im goin to try the new 180xxx drivers tonight
I dont have another system to try the card in, i should say a system that the card will fit in lol

Ive been thinking about upgrading the motherboard anyways to a ATX from the mATX i got in there now, so maybe its a good time to find one

Drop the clocks on your videocard and see what happens?

I'd wager its just a bad videocard in need of RMA again.

I would also suggest it was overheating (by the looks of the images) or the voltage to the GPU is too low.
As suggested try dropping the clocks on the videocard, this will indicate if the above is true and will keep you going without any extra expense if you only need slightly lower clocks.

Its possible the reported temps arent correct, check to see if the heatsink is excessively warm.

The first picture shows that your video card got drunk and spent too much time playing with these lego blocks:
stillmessedupvid.jpg
41C18H80GXL.jpg

The second illustrates the video cards want to continually work in 2D mode, making only picture collages:
messedup.jpg
collage.jpg

The third has stared too long at Andy Warhol-istic pictures, trying to convince you that it's not completely deranged and suicidal:
stillmessedupvid2.jpg
Che20Guevara20Andy20Warhol.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Time to beat your card.

lol nice, i was also thinkin of legos when it happend the first time

What would you suggest droppin the clocks to?
There at
core-675
shader-1688
memory-1100

could it be a driver issue?
I have seen that checkered pattern before on my laptop, though i think it was a heat issue.

Back