What would cause this Linksys router problem?

RS3RS

[H]F Junkie
OK, say you have a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G), and 2 computers configured for wifi.

You've set up the router on the default SSID, security disabled, all of that, as simple as can be, broadcast SSID enabled and all, but neither computer will find the signal from the router.

The wifi works on both PC's, but they just search for avaliable networks, and they don't see this one.

The PC's can be literally 6 inches from the antenna and not see the signal, so it's not just a signal problem.

The router works fine if you plug a computer into it with a cable, just not wirelessly.

The router shows that wireless is enabled, and shows that all is working well.

I've changed channels, no go. All security is disabled. Firewalls disabled.

I went so far as to replace the router with a new WRT54G, exact same results, so it's not a hardware problem. :confused:

That's odd. What kind of cards are in the PCs? What version of driver/software? The fact that the cards do not seem to be seeing the signal from multiple APs makes me point the finger at the PCs. Has wireless ever worked on your PCs?

I'm going to point at the PC's as well. Could there be multiple wireless management software instinces? ie: windows zero wireless configuration and dell wireless remote management utility

Back