what would benefit my rig most , cpu or gpu ?

cpu or gpu

• Q9550 / Q9650

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • GTX 280 in SLi

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spawn447

Gawd
im running a E8400 @ 4.05 / 1.375v with a single 280gtx sc .

play games ( cod4/5 , farcry , deadspace etc ) and do some novice video encoding (winavi , x2dvd ).

would i benefit more from :

A. quad core cpu Q9550 / Q9650 / QX9650

B. a second 280gtx

A second GTX would give you a much more significant increase in gaming. For light video encoding, your current dual-core chip will suffice. If you go into serious video editing in the future then a quad would be a good investment, but for the time being you'll get a lot more out of a second GTX280.

B, then A later. cod and fc are fairly multithreaded so a quad will definately help too.

Save your money. You don't have to play games with all settings on ultra.

no waste your money because you can. ur current build will be another 280 from the choice.

But this is what you should get if you dont have it, vista x64 bit. 4 gb ram.

If you have even more money to spend. get a FUSION-IO drive

For single GPU, your current rig is about the best you can get.
A quad core will help those games that are CPU limited (possibly GTA IV, WoW when a lot of action is on screen and a few other games).
For dual GPU you will definitely get a significant gain with your current rig but to get the best from SLI or Crossfire, i7 is the kiddy.

Even though you cant get the full performance from SLI, you will be best off with another GTX280 for most games, but GTA IV might force you to upgrade your CPU as well if you want to run the higher quality settings!

Video encoding will benefit greatly from more CPU cores, but its worth looking at the GPU encoding tools.
What videos/codecs will you be using for your encodes?

running vista 64 , video at 1920 x 1200 , 4 gig ram ( other 4 in RMA ) . cheking out FUSION-IO drive $$$

Back