What would be a good mp3 player for my needs??

Cbl12886

Limp Gawd
Lately I have been using a crappy 512mb mp3 player a friend gave me to go running. It does not store enough stuff (Music/podcasts) and the radio does not have very good reception. I am looking to get a good quality mp3 player that has a good sized screen, good battery life, plays music, videos, and pictures, will not skip, and has a armband accessory. Here are a few I am looking at.

Creative ZEN Vision:M 30GB
- 2.5" Screen
Microsoft Zune Black 30GB - 3.0" Screen
SanDisk Sansa e260 Black 4GB - 1.9" Screen
Creative ZEN MICRO Black 6GB - Unknown Screen Size

I do not mind spending some money on a good player. I like the Vision:M and Zune for their screens but I am worried about them when running. The Sandisk is obviously good for activities but the small screen is a draw back. I am hoping your feedback will help me decide.

Lately I have been using a crappy 512mb mp3 player a friend gave me to go running. It does not store enough stuff (Music/podcasts) and the radio does not have very good reception. I am looking to get a good quality mp3 player that has a good sized screen, good battery life, plays music, videos, and pictures, will not skip, and has a armband accessory. Here are a few I am looking at.

Creative ZEN Vision:M 30GB
- 2.5" Screen
Microsoft Zune Black 30GB - 3.0" Screen
SanDisk Sansa e260 Black 4GB - 1.9" Screen
Creative ZEN MICRO Black 6GB - Unknown Screen Size

I do not mind spending some money on a good player. I like the Vision:M and Zune for their screens but I am worried about them when running. The Sandisk is obviously good for activities but the small screen is a draw back. I am hoping your feedback will help me decide.

Vision M or Zune. :D

Is the Zune worth the extra $50? It does have a 3" screen but Creative has been on the MP3 scene a lot longer than microsoft.

I had the zune but returned it cause it was to bulky, trust me when ur running you don't want to have an mp3 player that is heavy. DONT BUY HARD DRIVE MP3 PLAYERS FOR RUNNING!! they will skip and are not meant for running. Flash players will suit your needs the best would probably be an iPod Nano(ya i know its an ipod but its thin and made for running)And the Sandisk Sansa e260(Like the iPod Nano but has bigger screen and a little thicker. Last is a Creative Zen V, small player 1.5 inch screen very sleek player. Those are the mp3 players i would recommend.:D

Are hard drive MP3 players that bad for running? I thought if you had an armband it would be ok.

Are hard drive MP3 players that bad for running? I thought if you had an armband it would be ok.

Yes. Moving parts being jostled all over the place is bad. An armband secures it to your arm. What's your arm doing?

Unless you can find a flash memory mp3 player that has enough memory for you and still display pictures and such, go for it.

I recommend getting an adequately large flash player for exercising, and a hard-drive-based player for the other stuff, like an iPod Video, Zen Vision, etc.

I do not understand the big deal about using hard drive based players for running. I did some searching on this forum and a few others and a lot of people say they run with their players everyday without a problem.

I have a 20gb hard drive iPod which I have had for over two years now.
Been running with it for that long and have never had any problems.

The reason people do not suggest it, is because it can cause problems, or more problems. So they suggest not doing it if you can avoid it. Overall I have been happy with my iPod and so have all of my friends, who also own one.

I am still really considering the Zune or the Creative Zen:M. I do not want an Ipod because everyone has them. I do not think running with either one is that big of a deal. Just look at how many armbands they sell for both products.

For running, I'd suggest something small, light, and flashbased. I'd suggest either a Nano, or a Sony Walkman mp3 player.

Just in case anyone is still wondering about this post, I am going to go with the Ipod Nano and Nike sensor. This will be a dedicated player for running. I am going to pick it up at circuit city tomorrow.

Just in case anyone is still wondering about this post, I am going to go with the Ipod Nano and Nike sensor. This will be a dedicated player for running. I am going to pick it up at circuit city tomorrow.

As a note, the NIKE sensor doesn't really work very well, or at least it wasn't a few months ago when I was looking at reviews of them. Definitely do your research first; when I was looking at them the general opinion was that it was just a gimmick, and a bad one at that.

Every review I have read said it was a good product. Some say it is not as accurate if you do not use the nike shoes where it has a compartment where it wont easily move around.

i have owned a 2GB clix since July, its awesome.

mine is full of flash cartoons mostly (strongbad / homestar) =P

if theres anything specific u want to know about it, feel free to pm me.

Back